Power supplys and upgrad

Peachy boy 22:22 09 Oct 2006

Hi

I'm planing to build my own pc I know some of the stuff involved but what I don't know is that does it matter what voltage you power supply is is it better to have i high voltage or could that overheat.

Thanks Alan

PSF 22:29 09 Oct 2006

If you are in the UK will can only use 220/240 Volts ac, I think you have confused it with the Wattage required.If you are building a powerful system you will need a larger supply, eg 450w up-wards. Plenty of choice click here, it is best not to buy the budget range. Spend a bit more to get a higher quality power supply.It will be more efficient and last longer.

skidzy 22:31 09 Oct 2006

Do you know what Mobo you will be using,im in the process of rebuilding one of my systems with a
Asrock 4i65G mobo and have been advised to go for something in the region of 400w upwards.

If you can tell us what parts you will be using,im sure we can help with the required parts ie: Mobo/Cpu/Graphics etc...

PSF 23:07 09 Oct 2006

A lot of graphics cards require a 450w power supply now. click here to calculate the size you will need.

Radaruckus 23:07 09 Oct 2006

I recommend the Antec True Power 2 480W power supply. Its roughly £40 online. You can go the next step up to the 550W for about £60 or the 650W if you're building a particulary powerful pc with dualcore cpu and multiple graphics cards.

Slightly more important than the Wattage is the amp on each of the rails.

You'll need atleast 18amps on each rail for a high performance pc and i recomment that either way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?