Power Supply stays on

slowhand_1000 09:36 18 Jan 2007

Hi

A friend asked me to replace her PSU as she thought it had gone.

So I swapped an old 150w (which happens to be the same as she had in her emachine 5220) just to double check hers had blown. Her pc fired up ok, so off I went and got her a replacement Jeantech 300w.

When I connected the power lead to her new PSU the PSU just started up. Her pc started ok and when I shut down the pc the PSU was still running.

I disconnected everything except for the 20 pin and 4 pin 12v connectors and still the same thing happens.

So I switched back to the spare 150w I had and everything was as it should be. Put the new PSU in and again the PSU started up.

I then put the new PSU into an old pc I have and it runs fine. Comes on when it should and not on its own.

Cheers

slowhand

slowhand_1000 12:21 18 Jan 2007

Just an update

I have tried another PSU, a new Tagan that somebody let me try, and the same thing happens with that one. Plug the PSU in, switch on at the mais and the darn PSU fires up.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:48 18 Jan 2007

Check both BIOS and windows power management settings.

Disable wake on lan or wake on ring in the BIOS.

slowhand_1000 13:59 18 Jan 2007

Fruit Bat /\0/
Thanks for the reply.

I can't seem to find the wake on lan/ring on lan in the BIOS (Pheonix)

The power management settings are all set to never

slowhand_1000 18:03 18 Jan 2007

Bump

Just in case

slowhand_1000 19:46 18 Jan 2007

Final update

My friend has decided to take the new PSU even though she will have to switch off at the mains.

Just a final bit of information though. I've only just noticed that when the 20 pin connector is plugged into the motherboard the hard drive light comes on constant.

I've also noticed that none of the USB ports work. Seems that the old PSU blowing has done more damage than meets the eye.

slowhand

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone