Power supply rating

iscanut 19:49 25 Oct 2006

I need to find out what rating my power supply is. Without taking the case apart and looking, is there a small program that will tell me. The Everest & Belarc diag progs do not seem to show this.

Stuartli 19:53 25 Oct 2006

It's usually listed on a label on the PSU itself - depending on where it is situated it's likely you can see it by taking off the case side opposite the motherboard (i.e. the left hand case side as you look at the case from the front).

Totally-braindead 19:53 25 Oct 2006

As far as I know the answer is no. You will have to remove the case.

Unless its a branded PC in which case if you go to their website and find your computer it MAY be listed there.

Terry Brown 19:54 25 Oct 2006

If you computer is running ok on the current power supply, don't worry about it , If you are having problems (i.e DVD will not start or only one CD device can be used at a time), you need a new PSU , aim for about 450w
Terry

iscanut 19:54 25 Oct 2006

Looks like I will have to look inside. Just being lazy !

iscanut 20:18 25 Oct 2006

Just want to make sure that a new AGP graphics card will be OK for my PSU rating.
Thanks

Stuartli 20:35 25 Oct 2006

A graphics card, especially more recent models, require in many cases from 300w minimum upwards - optical drives and many other components, in contrast, require very little.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?