AT power supply and new case

ricvic 16:36 29 Aug 2003

The AT power supply on an old(ish) PC has blown. The PC was made by a small local and now defunct set up. Obtaining a new AT power supply seems difficult locally; nothing in Maplins etc.

Is there any reason why I cannot extract the MB, hard drive, graphics card etc into a new case and ATX power source such as click here

While the MB and celron processor are ageing, it is internet capable and still an excellent part of our home network. It seems wasteful to junk the other bits.

Please, the pros and cons

Terrahawk 17:05 29 Aug 2003

i think you will find that the atx motherboard plug is different from the at plug though someone may correct me but i dont think it can be done

ricvic 17:11 29 Aug 2003

Thank you.

There are both AT and ATX connectors on the motherboard.

Diemmess 17:17 29 Aug 2003

Dual plug (AT or ATX) were available until very recently in "corner shop" outlets. Many users like me have dumped just what you wanted.

Failing a thorough scrounge around (there may be others on this forum that would give you their "junk" in return for the postage), nothing is impossible to someone with time and a small soldering iron.

Stating the obvious, you will have to check that you finish the plug adaptation so that the correct volts and amps are available where they should be and nowhere else.

Diemmess 17:22 29 Aug 2003

Should have read the orinal post properly!

If your AT motherboard has an ATX socket, you are home and dry.

But..... If you are thinking of transferring the old mother board to an ATX case than you will have problems indeed with bits that wont coincide with their punched out holes.

ricvic 17:36 29 Aug 2003

Thank you: this is precisely what I needed to know.

The existing case has an on/off switch and a reset button. The on/off has four push-on connectors. It seems that I am not able to use the ATX PSU in the existing case because it will not interface with the switch. Hence the query about using a new case.

Where can I find info about wiring the switch to make it ATX compatible?

Monitor Master 18:07 29 Aug 2003

I think you will be a lot better off buying a new case which are almost as cheap as psu's if you look in the right place than to start messing around switches etc....

As for that case its advanced to what you need. I think that AT PSUs are all 200w so you would not need a 350w although the power could do no harm.

I think that click here would be a cheap easy and affective fix. Also only £21.44 including P&P & VAT.

BUT be carefully where you take out of where especially if you have no manual. Writing down and taking pix on digi cam (if u have a digi cam) would be a VERY good idea. Otherwise when you come to think where did this come from / where does it go you might have a big problem.

Hope this helps

Michael

Also i also have spare AT PSU if you would Rather purchase that off me for a very low fee.

ricvic 18:40 29 Aug 2003

Forgive my confusion.
Monitor Master: you seem to suggest that I can port my AT/ATX capable Mobo etc to an ATX case and PSU.

Diemmess: You seem to suggest that the Mobo would not fit a more modern case.

Monitor Master 18:47 29 Aug 2003

I would have thought that all atx compatible motherboard (or motherboards with ATX power sockets) are compatible with the cases. Otherwise where is the point of the ATX port?

I would have also thought that the ATX cases would have both old AT holes for the screws as well as the ATX motherboard holes.

Michael

woodchip 18:48 29 Aug 2003

Yes but the AT motherboard will not fit a ATX case. Go to a Computer Fair near you they will more than likely have a AT PSU

woodchip 19:12 29 Aug 2003

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?