POWER SUPPLY MOD , SORT OF

i've got the qtec gold 550w psu , do you think that relacing the internal fans with silent ones would be cheaper than buying a silent psu.

Big Elf 19:12 31 Dec 2003

Would you please take out life insurance and name me as the beneficiary:0)

I've read threads stating that the thingies (capacitors?) inside the PSU can hold enough charge to do serious damage to humans. It's probably safer to buy a new PSU.

woodchip 19:25 31 Dec 2003

Sometimes the transformer it's self also makes noise, not just fan but you could try it

BIG ELF

i was going to turn it off first lol

i've already replaced one of em but the fan is a bit noisier than the one that died so i know it can be done.

and if it was dangerous to take em apart why do they put scews in the thing , cos you know somebody is gonna take it apart "TO SEE HOW IT WORKS"

Big Elf's right capacitors CAN KILL us humans. if you intend doing this be extreemly careful where you poke your fingers / screwdrivers

a charged capacitor can kill, even when they have been unplugged from the mains supply for some days

Big Elf 19:57 31 Dec 2003

Despite my 'tongue in cheek' comment. The capacitors retain their charge for a long time even when switched off.

Where's [email protected]@ms's expertise when you need it?

Big Elf 20:01 31 Dec 2003

I didn't refresh before posting so didn't see that you'd already been inside the PSU.

You are one lucky person!

when i took it apart last time i had no problems , but the way it came apart meant my hands were knowhere near anything.

if i die i'll let you know

cheers

Jester2K 20:53 31 Dec 2003

Just so not worth it.

Please read the above and then visit click here

YOU might not value your life above £50 Plus P&P but i'm sure there are others that do.

so if i cant open the psu because its too dangerous , i suppose i cant buy one of these then click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?