Power Supply for Medion 160Gb HDD

Masterspy 11:38 02 Apr 2004

Would someone who bought the 160Gb HDD from Aldi a few weeks ago confirm the details of the included power supply. I need to know the name on the supply and the output details plus the S/N or other numbers. I am unsure if I have the correct supply.

Many thanks

Masterspy

Jomi 11:55 02 Apr 2004

In the absence of other answers at the moment Masterspy, I can tell you that the power supply details are often out of sight and you may need to remove the psu from the case to read the data badge.
There's a useful guide to psu requirements here click here

hope that helps.

SEASHANTY 15:00 02 Apr 2004

The PSU which came with this 160GB external drive is listed as "KINGPRO" Model No. KAD-0112018A :
input 100-240 Vac ~ 0.45A max 50-60Hz : Output +12V DC @ 1.25A Made in China. The serial number on mine is S/N: 1170270. I have not yet used this
hard drive. Hope the info helps.

Masterspy 18:21 02 Apr 2004

Many thanks Seashanty. You have answered my question in full. Mine is the same power output and name. I thought it was wrong for the reasons below.

On the label at the back of my drive the MD number is different to that written on the outer cover of the box. More interestingly, the spec. for the power supply has both a different reference number and specifies the output should have a power rating of 1.5A? Curious, don't you think.

I contacted Medion. They siad the supply in the box os the right one.

I will close this thread now. Thank you once again.

SEASHANTY 19:50 02 Apr 2004

Haven't checked up on what the PSU spec should be but all manufacturers cut corners where they can. Probably this particular PSU was available at the time at a cheaper price so they decided that it did not really need that extra quarter of an amp anyway.
It isn't a regulated supply and you may be able to pick a +12V supply rated 1.5 amps at a car boot sale or second hand market if need be. The going rate is
usually £1 to £2. I wouldn't worry about it. Most likely 1.25 amps will be quite sufficient to power the drive. Best wishes. TB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017