power supply

johnny2stripes 14:17 27 Oct 2010

hi, ive got a pc with a 250 watt power supply. ive just purchased a Graphics card that needs 300+ watts to run. Ive installed the card which appears a bit laggy. I have a spare 300 watt power supply from another computer. Could i replace my current 250 watt with the 300 watt as long as it fits? Ive been told you can and there won't be a problem?

T0SH 14:33 27 Oct 2010

If your power supply was not capable of running that graphics card it would very soon pop up a screen telling you

Also ratings on power supplies are not known for their accuracy so "if it ain`t broke do not fix it" is usually the best policy

Cheers HC

johnny2stripes 14:46 27 Oct 2010

before i bought the computer a technician said the power supply was 350 watt but when i checked it says 250 watt on the supply? Firstly is it safe to run a 300 watt graphics card on a 250 watt machine, will it overheat or damage my machine? Secondly is the lag in games because of the lack of wattage as the card requires 300+ watts and i only have 250 watts. thanks

johndrew 15:03 27 Oct 2010

If the PC is low on power (the PSU is not big enough) then the PSU in it will work very hard and get hot and noisy. Eventually it will fail and may take other items (motherboard?) with it.

You can put any size (power rating) PSU in the PC provided it fits and has the right connectors. You must also note that if the graphics card needs 300 watts then you still need more power for drives etc.

The 300 watt PSU you have could be fitted provided the rules above are noted. However, you may find it a bit low for what you have. I would suggest you consider something with a higher output you can pick them up quite cheaply, for example click here|countryGB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=17422469830020117289&ei=MzDITKmoCNm5jAf_55FH&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CEAQ8wIwAg#, click here, click here. A quick search may well provide better value.

johndrew 15:06 27 Oct 2010

Sorry bad first link TinyURL.com/2uexxxn

johndrew 15:07 27 Oct 2010

Would help if I put the full URL in click here

jack 17:40 27 Oct 2010

click here
The one I went for is in and the machine is working fine.

johnny2stripes 12:51 29 Oct 2010

i have a 24 pin power supply that is 250 watt and i want to replace it with a 300 watt spare which i have which is also 24 pin. i compared the two looking at the pin wiring, the 250 watt has 1 wire missing from the socket while the 300 watt seems to have all the wires. I dont even know if the wires are all in the same place on each socket. They appear to be different? could the 2 supplies be wired differently or are they the same no matter what order the wires are in?

johndrew 14:07 29 Oct 2010

If they are standard, 'of the shelf' PSUs suitable for an ATX case, the wiring at the plugs should be as shown here click here.

Although why you are insisting on fitting a PSU that must be marginal in its capacity given that you have said the graphics card alone can draw 300 watts is difficult to comprehend.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?