Power Supplies Which One?

pb457 18:37 14 Oct 2005

I am changing my computer in the next couple of weeks but am confused about power supplies. I am upgrading from a Socket A setup Athlon XP 2500+ 512 mb Ram 160Gb IDE Hard drive, Nvidia FX5700. To a Scoket 939 setup with SLI, using 3200+ Athlon 64, 1GB Ram Same hardrive, Nvidia 6600GT. I am confused with power supplies, is there any special sort i need for a pci express/ sli board. I have noticed that my old board and power supply have a 20 pin atx connector and the socket 939 accept 24 pin only. Do all power supplies these days have the 24 pin connectors. I don't want to spend alot on a powersupply because in the end you don't see it.
Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

seedie 18:42 14 Oct 2005

get the best you can afford. Although in the end you won't see it you will see the effect of a cheap and nasty one.

CD

GaT7 18:45 14 Oct 2005

If you can afford the above components you can afford a good quality power supply, so don't skinch on getting a good one.

It'll be ideal to get one meant for a socket 939 & SLi.

Here's a recent PSU group test/review to help you choose click here.

Good luck with the PSU & new build. G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:47 14 Oct 2005

"I don't want to spend a lot on a power supply because in the end you don't see it"

PSU an essential part of the system if it fails everything is dead until you replace the PSU If your unlucky a failing PU can take out you motherboard CPU and hard drives at the same time.

You may not see it bt you can certainly hear it a noisey PSU is very annoying.

In short DO NOT scrimp on the PSU

Get a good quality, quiet one, the more power, the less it is strained also make sure its P4 ready has an extra plug.

Chegs ® 19:32 14 Oct 2005

I have a mag from Nov 2005(thats its cover date honest!)Custom PC.In it is an article on PSU's.

"Exposed! Power Supplies Why Your PC's PSU could be dangerous"

It goes on to state...

31 Tested

15 Failed

9 Exploded!

Plus,Why you need a new PSU anyway:

Make your PC more stable

Cut your electricity bills

Add support for the latest kit

I haven't even got to the article,this is just off the cover.I suggest you buy the mag and have a read before buying that cheapo supply.

amonra 19:52 14 Oct 2005

Buy the QUIETEST one you can afford.

jack 19:57 14 Oct 2005

The AMD 64bit processors and the associated motherboard have a separate 4 pin power socket for the CPU.
I was caught out with my rebuild in July and several threads since have had the same experience.
The eager beaver slaps the MoBo in, plugs up - fans whirl lights on drives come on - and the computer stays dead - simply because the CPU had not been powered up and the PSU did not have the correct connectivty - a 4 pint power plug in addition to the 20 pin one.
Get as powerful a PSU as you can afford 450 watt minimum I would say and do check the extra power plug for the CPU - 4 pin.

Mr Beeline 22:54 14 Oct 2005

Hi

I've just purchased and fitted a "Tagan EasyCon TG530-U15" and if you fancy a modular PSU, I can recommend it. Though don't do what I did and fit the PSU into the case and then try to fit the leads! Luckily I have thin fingers. So moral here is "decide what leads you need and fit em first". The inclusion of a switch for swapping between "split rail" and "single rail" is neat as well.

Chegs ® 23:34 14 Oct 2005

The mag I referred to above says of the Tagan

Verdict:A weak 12V rail,but otherwise cool and quiet.

Until Tagan can reinforce the 12V rail,the TG530-U15 is best avoided,but it certainly has potential.Its quiet,cool and has more connectors than you'll ever need.

pb457 13:19 15 Oct 2005

thanks take your advice into consideration

Stuartli 13:52 15 Oct 2005

Quality not quantity of power supply is the essential feature of a PSU.

Here's some guidance:

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?