power supplies

madPentium 18:36 13 Sep 2003

I have an engineer friend who says that when plugging a power supply into a p4 mobo, you should always plug in the standard connector, plus the small square 4 pin connector. He says not to use the AT like connector instead of the 4 pin one because it isnt as steady in voltage.
My power supply blew yesterday and the only spare I had was one without the 4 pin connector, so I used the older type connector instead. It seems to be working just fine. Is there any truth in what he says?

Many thanks

howard60 20:59 13 Sep 2003

if it works ok then it is just fine. maybe the square unit has a better regulated supply but I doubt it.

Jester2K II 21:02 13 Sep 2003

I have been told twice that you must connect both on faster boards to maintain a stable system.

T0SH 21:50 13 Sep 2003

I think what your friend was refering to is,
"AUX Power connector for server motherboards"
used on P4 systems, more detail here
click here
But if your system is stable ?

Cheers HC

Jester2K II 21:51 13 Sep 2003

Also used on the AMD nForce2 MoBo i set up last week...

oglemire 22:14 13 Sep 2003

the four pin is a 12 volt connector ... if your mb has a 20pin interface plus a 12 pin it will need both .. i guess from ur post that it does not have the 4pin interface on the MB ..

madPentium 22:28 13 Sep 2003

my mobo has three power connectors. Theres the usual atx connector block, a four pin square block and an inline power connector, I think about 6 pins. I used the inline and the atx block as my powersupply doesnt have a 4 pin connector lead from it.

If a power supply has all three types, is it safe to plug them all in?

DieSse 23:09 13 Sep 2003

If a power supply has all three types, is it safe to plug them all in?

Yes it is - and you should replace your PSU with a type with all three outputs. It is not recommended to run a motherboard without the extra supply (s) connected - even though it might work OK for emergency use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires