Power socket?

boon_intheuk 17:39 21 Sep 2003

Hi there, an easy one for someone I am sure.
I just got a new base unit, I was about to plug in all the leads from my old base unit to the new one when I noticed that the new one only has a power socket for the computer but my monitor needs to be plugged into the computer aswell?
Is this normal nowerdays? I guess I could use another pc power lead to plug into the end of the monitor lead to provide power to the monitor, would I be right?
Also, I am expecting to be able to use a windows "start up" floppy disk to install the Operating system, or is it more complicated than that?
Thank you, Boon.

A15 17:43 21 Sep 2003

Modern PC's only have power sockets for themselves. Your monitor needs to be plugged into it's own 240 volt outlet. I don't know why, I am sure someone on here can explain, but I think it's something to do with the way the modern PSU's work.

As for installing windows, some versions can boot to install straight from a bootable cd-rom others can't & need a boot floppy, depends on which version your planning to install.

dazzling (work) 17:44 21 Sep 2003

yes just use a kettle type lead to plug monitor straight into the mains. if your installing xp you only need to boot from the cd rom dont need a boot disk just change boot settings in the bios to boot from cd rom first.darren

DieSse 17:44 21 Sep 2003

Some PSUs have a monitor outlet, some don't - that's just the way it is. Yes, you just use a standard power lead instead.

What you need to install an OS depends on which OS. With WinXP you only need the CD, for instance - this will enable you to boot from it and partition and format your drive, as well as install the OS.

Djohn 17:47 21 Sep 2003

Yes, quite normal now to use a separate power lead for the monitor. Save drawing power from the PSU as this is needed for all the extras we now install in the tower unit.

If you go into Bios and set you CD Drive as the "first bootable drive" then you can install straight from your CD for 98 up-wards. j.

boon_intheuk 18:52 21 Sep 2003

Thankyou all for that.
I am wanting to install WinME, so I will follow advice and set the BIOS to boot first from the CD drive.
But, do I not need to format or partition the harddrive first? (It is a brand new 40 Gig drive).
Thanks again, Boon.

P.S. Just remind me, I hold down the "delete" button when the PC starts to enter the BIOS? ( I havn't done it for awhile!)

boon_intheuk 21:06 21 Sep 2003

Anyone?

boon_intheuk 22:11 21 Sep 2003

?

Jester2K II 22:21 21 Sep 2003

"I hold down the "delete" button when the PC starts to enter the BIOS?"

Try Delete. If that doesn't work try Esc, F2 or F5 - it varies from Motherboard to motherboard...

Djohn 22:37 21 Sep 2003

Not sure if you will need to format the new drive, but if you do then, click here for a boot disk, download to a floppy insert to new PC and from the "a" prompt, type the word format C: Remove the floppy after the format, then from BIOS sellect your CD drive as mentioned above and install ME from there. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?