Power Short Causing Case to be Live

Kilty 10:46 09 Nov 2009

I have a problem with my desktop, it will not boot (no display or beeps, but powers up) and after opening the case found that it and everything else is live (touched with a phase tester). I have uplugged all devices and checked each time, but the short must be elsewhere. Would it be a good idea to remove the motherborad and try it again when removed from the case?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Jollyjohn 11:04 09 Nov 2009

If the case is live it is your power supply that is kaput as computer only uses 12v and 5v to run

al.reed@tiscali.co.uk 11:53 09 Nov 2009

What do you mean by a "Phase Tester" ? Did you measure between case and earth ? . Has the mains lead been damaged or changed ? If you are not qualified / don't understand how to check this out unplug your machine and get expert assistance .
THIS IS POTENTIALLY ! A DANGEROUS SITUATION

oldbeefer2 12:36 09 Nov 2009

If the 'phase tester' is a mains tester, then your case is live with 240 volts. If you are competent, then a change of PSU would seem to be the way ahead. Any doubt then, as oldal1 says, leave it to an expert.

mooly 12:39 09 Nov 2009

By "phase tester" I take it you mean a neon srewdriver.

OK Safety first If YOU YORSELF are in any doubt then you must seek professional advice.

That said I think you will find that the neon is just showing leakage and it's normal... I am an electronics tech and have seen this countless times and a device like that in any case CANNOT be used to determine if there is a problem or not. If you touch it on a TV aerial socket for instance 9 times out of 10 it will light.

BUT IF YOU ARE IN DOUBT... have a proper check carried out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?