Power serge and laptop problem

legalrep 18:22 03 Feb 2006

I have a laptop that was switched on when a power cut struck last night. It is starting up but takes about 8 minutes before windows loads, once in windows everthing takes an age to open etc, I suspect the power surge has damaged something but I checked via systems information that the RAM is ok and it still reports that the 256mb is there, has anyone got any other ideas regarding this problem? Any advice/help would be great.

woodchip 18:39 03 Feb 2006

You should sheck the Hard Disc for errors first, double click on My Computer, Right click on C:\ Properties\tools check. After that you should run SFC /SCANNOW if you have a full XP System disc. You could also run System Restore to before the problem

legalrep 18:45 03 Feb 2006

Thanks woodship I'll try that right now!

legalrep 18:56 03 Feb 2006

woodchip, I've done the above and nothing been found wrong. When you say use system restore do you mean from windows start menu system restore? Do you think this is hardware or software?

legalrep 18:59 03 Feb 2006

I've just had a blue screen with a long message basically telling me windows has been shut down to prevent damage, very worried now!

VoG II 19:00 03 Feb 2006

Was there an error code/message?

legalrep 19:02 03 Feb 2006

I think so vog Im just restarting now I had a whole screen of text, sorry to sound so vague never had this happen before!

legalrep 20:17 03 Feb 2006

Thanks woodchip/Vog did as woodchip advised a system restore and fingers crossed everything looks fine. Phew!!!!!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?