Power Problem - Please Help!!

tobler 17:48 13 Jan 2008

Hi all,
my Mesh built pc has been working fine for a few years without any hitch whatsoever until this week...
I am unable to switch it on at all!!
There is power getting to the pc -
there is a light lit on the mobo and the network light is lit too...but nothing else - the power light and the HDD light are not lit, the fan is not spinning and presssing the power switch or the reset button has no effect at all...

Anyone have any ideas please...ta

MAJ 17:52 13 Jan 2008

Sounds like a faulty PSU, tobler.

tobler 18:09 13 Jan 2008

MAJ,
thanks for the quick response...
is a PSU the main power unit with the mains cable in the back and a zillion wires going everywhere within the pc???
looks like an awful complicated job to replace - is it?

Thanks again

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:37 13 Jan 2008

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

tobler 19:55 13 Jan 2008

Thanks guys.
I've managed to try an old psu from an old pc to check out if this works on the broken pc - and it does!!

So I'm appy for now - will check later in the week if I can fit this old psu permanently into place, or whether I'll need to buy a new psu.

Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?