Power Problem on new build DIY PC ?

Giggle n' Bits 11:41 29 Apr 2004

Built a new pc using a AMD Duron 1.6GHz 266FSB, Asus A7V8X-MX SE Via DDR M/board using the onboard VGA, WinXP home, 256MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz, 350Watt Psu, 40GB HDD, Floppy and CDROM.

Problem that I thought I fixed with a BIOS update is still here. When I go to power on the pc it will switch on for 2 seconds then power of and back on again very quick then boot into XP desktop.

Does anyone think this could be a PSU or a M/board fault please ?.

Gongoozler 11:47 29 Apr 2004

Are you sure it is really powering off then on, or is it only blanking the monitor. If it's really powering off you will get a second POST beep.

OPEN18 12:01 29 Apr 2004

You can often change the boot up settings in the Bios settings of the PC. This will determine what happens when you press the power on/off button

Timmy!! 12:35 29 Apr 2004

It sounds like the monitor is blanking between the bootup sequence (black and white/windows splash screen with scrolling bar) and entering windows (colour desktop) for a couple of seconds.

This is quite normal and occours when the graphics card changes its output resolution between the two sequences.

Giggle n' Bits 13:59 29 Apr 2004

button the computer powers (2seconds) then powers of total and back on the screen doesn't get a chance to display nothing as its all that quick.

Changed the PSU still same problem.

Erh Is it anything to do with S1 or S3 ?

Gongoozler 09:36 02 May 2004

Hi Yettie, I saw your other posting, so I did a quick Google search. I think this is probably something to do with the "Power Loss Restart" feature of this board.

Gongoozler 09:43 02 May 2004

--- and this forum click here suggests that it is a common problem, but can be overcome by downgrading the BIOS to version 1005.

Jakey boy 09:45 02 May 2004

Yettie. I have the same board in my first build, and it does exactly the same. It's never worried me, as I think it's just part of the natural boot-up of the MB.

Jakey boy 09:53 02 May 2004

If you read further down Gongoozler's link. You will see aposting that explains a little further, tho I don't quite get the "dead battery" bit.

Gongoozler 10:15 02 May 2004

I see from the ASUS website that BIOS version 1006 is to "Fix system hanging caused by unstable voltage given from certain power supplys" (sic). I think that perhaps this switch-on feature could be a side effect of this fix

Giggle n' Bits 12:50 02 May 2004

this board the A7V8X-MX & MX SE models are like this and Asus say it is normal so I have to accept this.

But when looking all last week on Asus site the answer to this was not to be found.

The Bios update of 1006 does not fix, I tried it on board 1 before I returned it now on board 2.

The system is not hanging, it is some sort of a power pre-charge, bit like when you plug a power lead but not on to the PSU and you get a quick spin of the fans.

But thanks all for the calls.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?