Power probems

triflesterms 13:16 18 Apr 2005

Hi

Ive recently had to install a new PSU, but for some reason whenever i boot up my monitor doesnt always come on, my new psu is 400w so i just cant understand whats happening?
Hope someone out there can help?

Thanx

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 15:31 18 Apr 2005

try plugging your monitor directly to mains plug and not into the tower if not check your graphics card hassent become loose when u changed the psu re check all leads and things are still seated well in there slots I had this problem when I changed graphics cards monitor would not recieve a signal due to graphics card not in slot properly hope that may be some help

triflesterms 14:44 19 Apr 2005

Hi

Ive already got the monitor powered seperatly, ive checked everythings in right, apart from the graphics card, i have a 16mb on board graphics card, to be honest im not sure where i would find it on my mother board, also i forgot to mention in
my previous post that sometimes my pc reboots sometimes before starting windows, i get a blue screen that flashes very quick, i ve got no hope of reading what it says, though i did install a new second hand 20gb hd, so im not sure if it could be to do with that?

Thanx

woodchip 14:46 19 Apr 2005

that's the graphics card that the monitor plugs into

Chris,M 14:57 19 Apr 2005

When you installed the 2nd HDD did you set the jumpers on the HDD to slave and also set the jumpers of your original HDD (with your O/S installed) to Master?

Also have you tried to format your 2nd second hand HDD? There may possibly be some old data or even an operating system on that second hand HDD. There may even be some viruses etc left on there. Dismount your second HDD and power up your machine and see if there is an improvment. Remember to unplug your Power cable before you work on your machine.

Chris,M 15:03 19 Apr 2005

If you need to see whats on that screen ( boot up screen) just be patient and quick and press PAUSE on your keyboard as the screen briefly appears . The screen will then be "caught" and readable...when you need to start the boot up process again then just press ESC or PAUSE on your keyboard again.

Chris,M 15:03 19 Apr 2005

If you need to see whats on that screen ( boot up screen) just be patient and quick and press PAUSE on your keyboard as the screen briefly appears . The screen will then be "caught" and readable...when you need to start the boot up process again then just press ESC or PAUSE on your keyboard again.

triflesterms 15:39 19 Apr 2005

Hi

The jumpers were already on master, ive formated the hd before aswell, i will check my graphics card, but if this doesnt work is there anything else i can try?

Thanx

triflesterms 13:13 25 Apr 2005

My graphics card seems ok but ive still got this problem when i turn my pc on my monitor doesnt always come on, it can take about 3 or 4 boot ups to get it to come on.

Hope someone can help?

Thanx

gudgulf 13:38 25 Apr 2005

Try disconnecting the second hard drive as suggested by Chris,M.If the problem does not go away then there is another issue with your machine.....like a component on the motherboard failing or maybe the hard drive.

How old is your pc and what is it's specification/make/model etc ? Perhaps more importantly what were the circumstances that led you to replace your power supply?.As much information as possible will help us sort out what's going on with your pc.For example (another question!)..does the pc get as far as completing the BIOS checks and starting Windows every time or does it just not try to boot at all?

triflesterms 14:04 25 Apr 2005

Hi

Ive only got the one hd installed at the moment, ive tried each hard drives on their own, but the problems still there.
Ok,everything was ok then one day i booted up & my pc kept rebooting with a blue screen (couldnt read)before going into starting windows.
After many attempts i was able to reformat cause of pc freezing, then i tired to install windows, but my pc kept freezing during installation.
A friend told me it could be one of 3 things -
hd, ram or graphics card.
First i tried another stick of ram, no good
then i tried the hd & i was able to install windows xp pro on it, but it still freezes every now & again, also every now & again my pc gets a blue sceen & reboots, couldnt catch what it said.
But im also having latency problems with reason 2.5, before it was ok no latency.
Then someone told me maybe my pc was freezing because my psu could be to weak as it was only 250w, so i upgraded to 400w, but ever since my pc was broke i have had that trouble with my monitor not coming on, hope this is enough info?
Just let me know what you need to know.
thanx

my pc is about 4years old.
Amd duron 800mhz
256 mbram
30 gb hd
on board sound & graphics.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone