Best phone camera 2017
I wish to install Microft Power Point viewer. I have used the program for some considerable time
previously but since a clean install of XP I have downloaded Viewer 2007 which installed but did not perform. Likewise Viewer 2003.
I used Microsoft Works without problems before so I can not understand why the download fails this time.
When I try to open an email (with paper clip) I am informed :-
File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association
in the Folder Options control panel.
I seem to have performed this action previously and much to my surprise but....I would certainly appreciate help this time.
Grateful for any help from Forum Members always as in the past.
the email prob is likely to be a link as opposed to the actual message.
i would suggest trying the viewer installation in safe mode.
How to create file associations for unassociated file types
You may want to create a file association for a file type that is not associated with a program on your computer. There are two common reasons for this action:
• A program such as a database program produces reports that have file name extensions that are not registered in Windows XP.
• You receive e-mail message attachments that are created in a program that is not installed on your computer. However, there is an installed program that can read these files.
To create a file association, follow these steps:
1. Right-click a file that has the extension that you want to change, and then click Open.
Note If the Open command is not available, click Open with or double-click the file.
2. Windows XP displays a dialog box that indicates that no program is associated with this file. The dialog box offers two choices for creating an association:
• Use the Web service to find the appropriate program
• Select the program from a list
Unless you want to find and download software that opens this file type, the best choice is to select the program from a list.
3. Click Select the program from a list, and then click OK.
4. The Opens With dialog box appears. Use one of the following methods to select the program that you want to use to open this kind of file:
• In the Programs list, click the program that you want.
• Click Browse, locate and then click the program that you want to use, and then click OK.
• Click Look for the appropriate program on the Web to browse the Internet for the program that you want.
5. Click to select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box if it is not already selected.
6. Click OK.
Many thanks each.
Have not tried "safe mode" as yet Johnnyrocker.
Fruit Bat....I am afraid that though I have printed off the "how to" information I can not make any headway. Guess my knowledge is lacking.
Since the reinstallation of XP the appearance of Internet Explorer is different and I wonder if this is the explanation. I am with Orange and the new IE is now Microsoft IE and provided by Orange. Assume this is still IE.6 but can not confirm. Would prefer the old former installation but rather doubtfull how to prceed with this also.
Will try and sort out both methods as you advise though and do appreciate your help.
My computer - Tools - Folder options - file types - New - type in pps in the box press ok.
It will now appear top of the list - change - tick select program. - navigate to powerpoint viewer. click ok
Fruit Bat /\O/\,
pps Microsoft Power Point Presentation is already located in File Types. Typing in the box "pps" activates a "do I want to un-associate pps with Microsoft etc and create new file type with it.
Have left all untouched for safety.
Can you advise further I wonder.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.