Power off options..

SB23 16:50 22 Apr 2006

While I was on the pc earlier, one of my cats decided to walk on the keyboard.
I know for a fact that she touched the power button on the keyboard, and without any warning, while I was emailing, the whole pc turned off.
I've checked the power options properties, but I cannot see anything that refers to the keyboard, as I don't want it to happen again. Has anyone any ideas ?
BTW, its a Packard Bell keyboard.

Thanks
Steve

CurlyWhirly 00:26 23 Apr 2006

When you say that you have checked the power option properties, do you mean from within Windows itself?
If so the power option isn't there but is in the BIOS.

I purposely enabled the option to save wear and tear on the power button!
In my BIOS the option came under the Power Management Setup and is called 'Keyboard power on'

CurlyWhirly 00:33 23 Apr 2006

p.s. in your case you will need to disable it obviously ;)

SB23 09:21 23 Apr 2006

Yes, it was within Windows I looked. Never thought about the bios. Will have a look today.

Thanks

Steve

SB23 13:08 23 Apr 2006

Have had a look in the bios, cannot see anything to do with the keyboard. I've also just been to PB site, and there's nothing there either. There has to be a way to change the power settings on the button on the keyboard.

Stuartli 13:16 23 Apr 2006

If you go to Control Panel>Keyboard>Hot Keys tab and Disable Sleep this should prevent the keyboard shutting the system down.

Stuartli 13:18 23 Apr 2006

There's also the means to disable the keys' function of Power Off and Sleep by opening Power Management in Control Panel and configuring Do Nothing in both cases.

SB23 14:16 23 Apr 2006

I've gone into the advanced settings and told it to ask me what to do, when a button is pressed, as there is nothing specific for the keyboard. At least now I'll be given a choice. The hot key tab option that you speak of, is just not there.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?