power loss during disk defragmenting

kinlou 16:26 26 May 2007

What would happen if the computer power supply failed during defragmentation of a hard disk ?

Technotiger 16:32 26 May 2007

Hi, I would say, that is anybody's guess. It could cause serious problems like corrupt file(s), then again one might be lucky and get only minor problems or even no problems at all.

Technotiger 16:34 26 May 2007

It might also depend on what defrag program was being used at the time - I have diskeeper running all the time on my PC, shutting down in the normal way it is perfectly ok - I guess it might also be perfectly ok even on a sudden shutdown.

Diemmess 16:48 26 May 2007

Anything is of course possible, but most times I think you would get away with it!

You would probably see that Windows has detected an error and offer to scan your drive.

I think the whole process is written to fail safe so that it can be stopped at any time without corruption.
I am only guessing but suppose that small packets of data are put into RAM, pasted into a space, and only then is the original deleted from RAM

Stuartli 17:31 26 May 2007

The chances of such an occurrence are probably as likely as you winning the Lottery...:-)

Unless you suspect something we don't know....

sunny staines 18:20 26 May 2007

had power cut during one, no problems. re started pc later and re started defrag from start again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?