the power light goes on but then nothing happens

steve_rfc 09:29 08 Oct 2007

the power light on ma pc goes on but then nothing happens ive tryed everything but im stuck is my computer knackered?????? HELP!!!!!!

Diemmess 10:01 08 Oct 2007

No, but its Power Supply Unit probably is.

There may be all sort of reasons but the PSU is the most likely.

Have you done anything at all to it since it last worked normally?

Do you feel up to repairing it yourself?

steve_rfc 11:01 08 Oct 2007

thanx for the reply

yeah iv'e been having problems for a while i tryed all over the internet to sort it and took some advice yesturday and this happened lol

i was told to restart the pc go into the setup and put the configuration setting to defualt and i put something slse onto mannual and it never went bk on the power light goes on as does the monitor but then the monitor goes off and thats it

i could sort it my self but not sure lol

thanx for the help

Quiller. 11:51 08 Oct 2007

" i was told to restart the pc go into the setup and put the configuration setting to defualt and i put something slse onto mannual "

Do you know which settings you were asked to change, apart from setting the main one to default. You could have changed one setting that is stopping the computer from either showing the screen or from starting up correctly.

Do you know the make and model of the computer or the motherboard? Because in most cases you can reset the bios by moving a plastic jumper.

Also, have you been inside the computer. Something may have come undone, usually a power connector or a ribbon cable though a loose graphics card or memory chip can cause the problems you describe.

Also from Diemmess, do you have a spare computer PSU.

Diemmess 11:54 08 Oct 2007

I still feel that it is a power supply problem.

I am assuming that Windows hasn't been all that smooth for some time, so all the things you did were done by software commands as you booted up, or a bit later.

You haven't been inside the box and made any changes with connectors or cables?

Can you give some idea of the make and age of the computer?

It could be that the PSU has been the cause of the windows problems and only now has failed completely.

There should be error messages on the monitor if something drastic had happened to Windows OS.

I hope someone else will join in this discussion but feel a replacement PSU is going to be necessary as a start to have the computer running again.
Whether it is done by you or by a local computer shop depends on your confidence and experience.
There is plenty of help available here if that is the route agreed.

Quiller. 12:10 08 Oct 2007

" I still feel that it is a power supply problem. "

Probably 99% it is.

It's more than likely it is but the above checks and tests are logical and need no extra equipment. The bios may have been altered to such an extent that it refuses to start. A simple reset via the cmos jumper will put hings back to square one. checking to see if the psu power connector is not loose or the graphics card or memory that would stop a computer from booting stone dead. all need no extra equipment.

If steve_rfc has a spare PSU then great pop it in. They are simple to do, only 4 screws and replace the connectors from where they came but if he/she has to go out and spend £30 t0 £50 on a new psu and it turns out to be something simple.

Dirty Dick 12:11 08 Oct 2007

.... nothing happens

Sounds a bit like the wife !!!

Sorry

steve_rfc 12:29 08 Oct 2007

i was told to change the configuration settings and put something else on to auto but can,t remeber what sorry the make of the pc is a hi-grade not sure of the model i have i motherboard installation cd

sorry for this as you can prob tell not that gd with comuputers lol

Quiller. 12:46 08 Oct 2007

" sorry for this as you can prob tell not that gd with comuputers lol "

Thats not a problem, all of us here, try to help:)

On the motherboard cd, does it say which make and model of motherboard it is?

Can you give any details about the PC, do you know any of it's specifications.

Do you have a spare power supply.

steve_rfc 12:51 08 Oct 2007

the cd tells me that its foxconn if thats any use to you

im trying to find out what it was i was told to do

thanx again

Diemmess 14:51 08 Oct 2007

OK, quiller is asking for more detail too, and it just might not be a PSU problem, in fact it could be worse, a dead motherboard.

If it does turn out to be those instructions you carried out, then they ought to be reversible.

Before you start spending money on this computer, about how old is it please, and is there a brand name on its case?

From what you say, you havn't dealt with a serious problem like this before, and asking at a repair shop for help would start to cost real money.

Keep looking for everything which might help this forum to help you.
Any forum members would take real pleasure from finding a satisfactoy answer for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?