power light & drive light on but not battery

it wisna me 06:54 09 Sep 2008

hp pavilion dv2000,wins xp.laptop screen been flickering few days now yesterday died on me.screen is blank,the battery light does not light up at all had pc 20 months,its on everyday,I am retired.There is no way I can check the battery wireless switch lights up and hp site not much help.I took battery out and it says replace 417066-001,where would I get this one & are they expensive if thats the problem do I insert recovery discs.

crosstrainer 07:19 09 Sep 2008

Try this first:

Remove the battery.

Remove the mains cord

Press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

Replace battery

Replace mains lead

Try again.

If this fails (I assume the machine works on mains power)

Then replacement can be obtained from:

click here

it wisna me 09:57 09 Sep 2008

Thank you for the quick reply ,I did as you said but just the same so I will probably need a new battery and that one you suggested will be the right one for my pc,dont want to get it wrong

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:08 09 Sep 2008

Will it work with just mains plug in and battery removed?

If not then power supply problem.
If OK then definitely battery problem.
Dell batteries click here

it wisna me 10:14 09 Sep 2008

with battery out and power cord in just the same grey screen,I thought you always needed the battery in or it would not work on just power

it wisna me 10:17 09 Sep 2008

sorry should have said all little blue lights are lit up on the pc but the battery and drive are not,I am not sure if I am making myself clear here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:41 09 Sep 2008

I thought you always needed the battery in or it would not work on just power"

No mains is converted to approx 19v DC (depending on make of laptop) to power the machine and charge battery.
Battery is used to power machine only when mains is not available.

"with battery out and power cord in just the same grey screen"
can you see anything on the screen if you look carefully may be a backlight or invertor gone. Can be proved by plugging in an external monitor and using the screen swap keys Fn F4 or FN F7 to change to the external monitor.

it wisna me 10:58 09 Sep 2008

No I would say the backlight is on,but no pixels or anything to see.As you would know when pc is off the screen is black ,switch on then it comes up grey.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:10 09 Sep 2008

Do you know how to remove the Hard drive and memory?

click here top pic shows rear of laptop D = hard drive just above that is memory.

remove HDD and see if it boots to an error message
also worth removing and refitting the memory cards and then trying a reboot.

it wisna me 11:31 09 Sep 2008

sorry fruit bat,I am a 73 yr old woman,I tackle quite a few things but this looks quite daunting maybe when husband gets home together we might try it,I will leave it for now and maybe come back tomorrow,I do appreciate your help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:58 09 Sep 2008

Yes those pictures are for taking the whole thing apart and so do make it look a lot harder than it is.

The only problem I have with age is I'm now struggling to see the slots in the screws :0)

It looks like the hard drive is held in by on or two screws
the same for the cover over the memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie