Power for a laptop in USA

  cooki8c 14:08 29 Nov 2007

I am going to the USA next year and wondered if I can charge up the battery in the US with the connection that I already have. i am assuming it will work over there but take longer for the laptopto charge up because of the lower power 110v will this happen or must I buy a transformer to do this ?????? cooki8c

  woodchip 14:10 29 Nov 2007

Your Mains Charger should be multi Volts, You should only need a Plug adapter. Check Volts on Adapter first

  Demora 15:21 29 Nov 2007

It will be ok BUT what I did. When I got there
I went into Radio Shack and bought a cable for the charger with the USA socket on it. Cost about $10 Much better than the adaptors.


  cooki8c 10:34 01 Dec 2007

Thanks for that help but I dont see ant multi voltage change mentioned on my power pack so I assume I wil have to buy a voltage booster of some kind. unless you have an alternative for me cooki8c

  John Ross 12:15 01 Dec 2007

When I have done this the transformer has adjusted automatically.
On mine it says on the usual data label on the transformer : eg "Input voltage 110-240V, 50-60Hz".

  cooki8c 12:30 01 Dec 2007

many thanks to 3 gentlemen especially to John Ross,,, who drew my attention to the automatic swich over on the power pack it staes here on the powerpack input 100-240 volts but yuou have no idea how small the printing ws I wear glasses and still had to use a magnifying glass to read it many thanks once again cooki8c

  Demora 13:16 01 Dec 2007

cooki8c You may also like to purchase a laptop surge protector to put in line. When I go to Florida the electrics can be a bit erratic. (due to the Storms).

Oh and I'm a Lady but no offence taken.


This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?