power fluctuation

Djpcex 18:16 23 Apr 2007

In my house ........ power supply is totally awful... the fans run slowly sometimes the little fast like this it flutuates.... the tube lights never glow......... so my pc restarts,shut downs... how can i avoid this..... i have this ups which works fine when the power totally goes off.. but when it fluctuates it cant handle... what should i do... can i buy a stabilizer and connect my pc thro it... or should i buy a new ups..... if so which ups is the cheap and best... and please tell me whether a stabilzer can help cause i am having a spare stabilzer....

My Config

Xp sp2

core 2 duo 1.86ghz

ati raedon 1950 pro 512mb

1gb ram

skidzy 18:56 23 Apr 2007

Sounds like you need an Electrician not computer advice.

If im reading this correctly ! though i must admit,i dont really understand and am a little confused.

Djpcex 19:44 23 Apr 2007

Actually it's kind of a low voltage problem......... because of this pc restarts.... i thought if i use stabilizers(one which we use for refrigrators) which give you a constant output neglecting these flutuations it might solve the matter..... but still i heard that UPS actually stabilizes the output but mine is actually a low cost one and it does not anything.... so only i am asking what is the best possible way??....

skidzy 19:51 23 Apr 2007

Little out of my league with this im afraid,have you tried using a surge protector ?

g0slp 20:12 23 Apr 2007

Why the low voltage? If you're connected to the mains then I believe that your supply, by statute, should be sufficiently stable, and at a high enough voltage to avoid the problems you're describing.

Belatucadrus 20:28 23 Apr 2007

A UPS is probably a good idea and ebuyer have quite a range click here . I do think it would be worth having a word with your supplier, anything as unreliable as your describing does need fixing.

wee eddie 20:53 23 Apr 2007

You will find that there are UPS's on the market that will deliver a constant voltage but they are not likely to be among the cheap'ies as the batteries may need to be in almost constant use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?