Power and chassis fans 'below threshold'

InCog 15:57 17 Apr 2004

After a series of crashes due to overheating of the cpu (80 degrees plus), I have installed a new psu and two new fans. The computer works and so do the fans but now I get an error message from the ASUS utility probe s/ware that the chassis and power fans are 'below threshold'. Does anyone know what this means and is it important?

hugh-265156 16:05 17 Apr 2004

did the new fans all have three wires or two?

the third wire is a sensor.

InCog 16:08 17 Apr 2004

They came with three and four pin connectors but no other wires.

hugh-265156 16:21 17 Apr 2004

how many wires though.

if they only have two wires they will not have a sensor to detect the speed of rotation.

they should have three if they have a sensor built in.

it wont do any harm but means you have no way of monitoring the speed of the fans apart from visual.

InCog 16:30 17 Apr 2004

If by wires you mean groups of wires, then are just two sets - one set plugs into the m/board, the other with four pins into a cable from the psu. The fans work so I suppose that's enough. Thanks for your help.

hugh-265156 16:34 17 Apr 2004

um..no i mean how many wires come from one of the fans for example.

look at one of the fans,how many wires has it got coming out of it? two or three?

:-)

InCog 18:01 17 Apr 2004

It has three individual wires

InCog 18:07 17 Apr 2004

I think I've worked out what you mean! I plugged one of the three pin connector plugs into the m/board and it now recognises the fan and records the temp. There doesn't seem to be anywhere for the other fan's connector but it's progress.

hugh-265156 18:18 17 Apr 2004

yay!

if you have changed the cpu fan/chipset fan etc there should be a motherboard connector beside or close to it for these to connect up to.this will give you a read out as above.

most ordainary case fans usually dont have sensors so just connect to the psu directly.

officer trolly 21:20 11 May 2005

Hi,
I had a noisy 92mm case fan with three wires - white red and black, which plugged into the motherboard on a 3-pin connector.
I just bought a new Vantec SF9225l as a direct replacement (quieter spec too) and it too has 3 wires (but yellow, black, red). On starting up the pc the fan works OK, but the pc goes to dos blackscreen, saying 'Chassis Fan is abnormal!' and '<F2> to run SETUP'.
In setup I can find one setting under 'Power' called Chassis Fan, with only two options, and changing the setting (disabled or a fan speed which comes up in red) makes no difference.
Any ideas please?

Thanks

officer trolly 21:37 11 May 2005

Looking at the dates and status of this string, I think I will set this up as a new posting!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?