Power button not working on pc

Chazcao 15:45 11 Jun 2017

Hi there

Sorry this is a little long, bear with me... hopefully someone can help me! Pressing the power button on my Dell Studio XPS does nothing, the green light on the back is on and the orange motherboard light is on so it's getting power. I've cleaned it out, checked the cables are seated properly etc and taken off the top cover to check the power button is depressing ok and seems fine (although I can't define 'fine')

One thing I noticed though, I'm no expert, but I was taught to press down the power button for 10 seconds to make sure any electricity is discharged before doing anything. I'd expect this to make the motherboard light to go off but it doesn't, it remains on for around 30 seconds and I tested this and this is the same amount of time the light takes to go off on its own, without me pressing the power button. So would this suggest it is indeed the power button that isn't working as it's not helping discharge the electricity? Or am I just assuming silly things?

I hope that makes sense! I'd be really grateful if anyone has any advice to get my pic working because I really need it. It's waaaay out of warranty so want to see if there is anything I can do before spending lots of money that I don't have.

Thanks

Chaz

Chazcao 15:45 11 Jun 2017

Sorry looks like I put this in wrong part of forum?

wee eddie 20:10 11 Jun 2017

Have you any way of checking the PSU?

Jollyjohn 07:06 12 Jun 2017

Find the end of the power switch on the motherboard. Pull the connector off and use a small screwdriver to briefly short out the two pins. If PC starts then it is the switch that has failed. If you have a Reset button, you could move the connector to the power pins and use that as a temporary fix. If PC doesn't start then I suspect the PSU has failed.

Forum Editor 07:07 12 Jun 2017

Moved to Tech Helproom from Apple Help.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)