A Potential Website Idea

tbh72 02:51 28 Jan 2004

Due to recent personal experiences I have this lingering idea for a website. Try as I might, I am not able to find any reasons why it would not be feasible.

In order for the website to work efficiently it would have to impliment a number of technologies already in use. As an example, profits would be generated by using the "inexpensive" personal randomly generated telephone numbers you see used by "Advertising" companies. Charged I think at between 35p - 50p per minute. Also a technology to calculate locational distances.... Well you get the idea.

I have neither the time nor patience to impliment what I think will be a very valuable online resource which WILL be used by people. Can I protect my idea so as to reap some reward if someone chose to develop it? How would I go about securing this condition?

Thanks In Advance
Tony

Forum Editor 07:17 28 Jan 2004

you cannot copyright (or patent) an idea. You can patent a product, or an industrial process (although it's not easy in either case) and of course all 'original work' is protected by copyright automatically. Original work may be a painting, a photographic image, a magazine article, a song, a piece of music, a play, sculpture etc., but not an idea or concept.

If you are so certain that your idea is a winner why don't you design and publish a website? When it's finished, copy it onto a CD, and print each page. Then, put the copies into an envelope and post them to yourself by special delivery. Keep the unopened envelope in a safe place. That gives you a time capsule with a verifiable date, and that would at least demonstrate that you did have the idea. It won't stop someone copying your concept however, and that is something that happens(quite legally)all the time. It will help you protect any key text or images though, and sometimes that can be very useful.

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but many people have that Eureka! moment, only to find that the concept won't work, or that someone else has thought of it before. There's only one way to find out however, and that's to give it a go. You say you haven't the time or the patience to do this, but that surprises me - if it's such a good idea isn't it worth finding the time? You might kick yourself when someone else does it.

Taran 08:43 28 Jan 2004

Your broad hints above do not seem like rocket science. A bit of patience and experimentation could well get you up and running.

As FE says, if it's such a good idea you should at least have a go.

You know where you can come for help if you need to.

I am one of those people who hates an unsatisfied curiosity, so if it was me having an idea [not likely I know, but...] I'd pull out all stops and go for it.

T

tbh72 12:30 28 Jan 2004

Thank-you for the guidance FE & Taran. It is now clear that the idea is not protectable, and would unlikely generate a reward unless I created it myself.

I'm going to search for information relevant to my idea & hopefully post back with a description.

Someone may see the idea & descide to develop it, or atleast I will receive feedback as to the "real" feasability of it.

Regards
Tony

Forum Editor 17:52 28 Jan 2004

of posting details if I were you - unless you're prepared to lose control of it altogether. Once you've published the information in the public domain you might as well give up any ideas of being first in the field.

PurplePenny 21:21 28 Jan 2004

"put the copies into an envelope and post them to yourself"

...and remember that you *must* put the postage stamp over the flap of the envelope so that the franking impression also goes there. This is to prove that you didn't post an empty envelope to yourself and put the papers in at a later date.

FE is right - don't put anything into public domain until you are ready to launch your idea. We are forever providing lawyers with photocopies of our date stamps in journals so that they can prove that the information was already in public domain.

Penny

tbh72 21:48 28 Jan 2004

It's a little like a balancing act. Weighing up the pros and cons of whether or not I should place a description of the idea. I really don't think I will be able to develop the idea myself (Time / Finacial constraints). It would either require a person / company whom can dedicate their time to it or alternatively be taken on by a company whom already provided similiar services. If I say nothing, then the idea may never be used & I or others will never benefit from it's services.

Djohn 22:22 28 Jan 2004

Pop round for a coffee Tony and we can put our heads together. j.

Forum Editor 22:28 28 Jan 2004

email me with some details. You may rely on my discretion, and I'll gladly provide you with an opinion.

tbh72 23:11 28 Jan 2004

FE - I tried to send an e-mail using the yellow envelope but the message failed, I hope you don't mind but I have replied using an e-mail directly from OE.

Regards
Tony

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

DJohn, you've got mail!!!

Forum Editor 23:36 28 Jan 2004

Unfortunately our company mail server appears to have gone down this evening - possibly as a result of being flooded with I-Worm/MyDoom virus messages - and I can't receive any mail.

I'll see if things are any better by the morning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?