Posting in the wrong forum.

Forum Editor 23:12 01 Aug 2005

I thought it was worth reminding our newer members of the need to check that you're in the right forum area when you start a new thread asking for help or advice.
When I spot a thread that's in the wrong area I'll move it, and when I do that I post a message in the thread, telling the originator where it has gone. Sometimes people untick the email notification box, so they don't receive an email alerting them to my post - they think the thread has been deleted.

If you find that your thread has mysteriously vanished, go looking for it in other forums areas - the chances are that I've moved it. Even better, make sure you're in the right forum area before you start your thread in the first place.

PurplePenny 23:53 01 Aug 2005

When starting a new thread does it say anywhere which forum one is in?

I sometimes find myself doubting my memory of which forum I was in when I clicked on "Start new subject" but I can't see anywhere that tells me which one I will be posting to.

Am I just being a tad dim?

Penny

Eric10 08:13 02 Aug 2005

The box with the 'Add response' and 'Start new subject' links has the forum name as a heading but once you've clicked the link you are on your own.

Forum Editor 19:01 02 Aug 2005

I doubt that Penny. If you look up and to the right when you're in the 'start new subject' box you should see the 'jump to' drop down box. The box will be showing the name of the forum you're in.

PurplePenny 21:21 02 Aug 2005

Hmm .. now I'm being blind as well as dim. I don't see the drop down box when I'm on the 'start new subject' screen :-(

Forum Editor 22:51 02 Aug 2005

When you're in the 'start new subject' box there should be the yellow border above - the one that has the explanation about green ticks. On the right-hand end, just under the yellow bar is a drop-down menu box - it has 'jump to:' to the left of it.

If you say it's not there I believe you, but I'm very puzzled.

PurplePenny 22:50 04 Aug 2005

... and raise you an AHA!

There are two different "start new subject" boxes!

If I click on "start new subject" from the link at the top of the list of messages it takes me to the box at the bottom of the page, which is exactly as you describe with the yellow bar and the drop down. If I click on "Start new subject" from the left menu I only get the new subject box.

Forum Editor 00:43 05 Aug 2005

you're right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?