posted on behalf of murego

sunnystaines 14:13 24 Dec 2010

his pc will not start will not get past the dell logo. seems his computer is working but not getting to windows, psu replaced no joy, both cd drives not working. he replaced keyboard after keyboard fault shown, but still will not boot. hdd also recently new.

any ideas anyone. i have only spoken with him by phone at this stage but open to suggestions.

running xp.

i will offer him a memtest floppy to check memory and reset his bios.

wondering if his motherboard may be going?

Graphicool1 14:17 24 Dec 2010

When he hits the boot button does his PC make any beeps? If so, what are they?

sunnystaines 14:30 24 Dec 2010

he said no bleeps, when he phones back i will get him to bring his system round. i think its hardware fault somewhere.

Graphicool1 14:44 24 Dec 2010

I think he's lucky to have you on tap, at Xmas too. If you get it sorted, he'll owe you a big drink! Cheers & Merry Xmas G1

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:48 24 Dec 2010

Might be worth trying a BIOS reset by either using the clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard or by removing the CMOS battery for 10 minutes.

1.reset the BIOS and retry to boot.

2.try with dvd and hard drive disconnected see if it gets past logo to and error message

sunnystaines 14:49 24 Dec 2010

I know how frustrating it can be when the pc is down [got memories of when i was like that years ago and dependend on others for help with the pc], quiet happy to strip it down and try and help only problem got no spares to eliminate components, may be a loose connection or an oxidised socket.

my bet it is the motherboard/ram problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?