POST screen blank on booting up and very slow star

The Lemon 22:34 29 Sep 2010

Hi,
I have a laptop satelite P300. On booting up vista the microsoft logo comes up and then when the POST screen should be showing me what the bios is checking the screen is blank. It remains blank for 5 to 10 mins then the pointer appears then it finally goes to the desktop. I suspect the bios is hanging on something but I can't see cos the screen is blank. I suspect there is a setting somewhere. I can enter the bios but can't find anything in there.
Also regards to the extremely slow boot, I have disabled nearly all the start up programs but it has made no difference. Has anyone any ideas? Thanks

The Lemon 23:20 29 Sep 2010

to add to the above I have noticed that the bios doesn't beep either

Covergirl 10:36 30 Sep 2010

. . . so I removed the SD card from the SD slot and everything was fine.

The SD card was old and low capacity, but still readable. Perhaps it was slightly faulty?

Basically, check if you have cards or USB devices plugged in, unplug them and reboot.

A bit of a longshot but possibly worth a try.

T0SH 12:04 30 Sep 2010

Try tapping once on the Esc key before the Microsoft logo appears

Cheers HC

The Lemon 19:05 30 Sep 2010

many thanks. the esc key let me see what was going on. I downloaded Norman Malware and Malwarebytes and these programmes really cleared out a load of adware. Also had a trojan virus! It boots up considerably quicker now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?