POST says Hard Drives - NONE

pj123 13:09 25 Jan 2008

This is ridiculous!

My computer has been running really well for the last couple of years. Well protected with Anti virus and Sypware software.

C: drive (primary master) cloned to 3 other same size hard drives regularly. Two of the clones are kept off site in two different places and one clone kept on site in a filing cabinet.

D: drive (primary slave) is backed up on a daily basis.

Secondary Master and Slave are DVD Rewriter and DVD rom.

About 2 weeks ago when I booted up the BIOS (POST) screen showed Primary Master None and Primary Slave None.

Took the side panel off and checked all the cables. I disconnected the IDE cable from the Hard Drives and then re-connected and switched on. It booted up to windows, no problem.

Switched on the following day and got the same problem. Again solved by disconnecting and reconnecting the IDE cable.

But it has now got to a stage where it will either, only find the Slave drive or only find the Master drive.

Yesterday, I switched the IDE cables. I put the DVD drive cable from the Secondary IDE socket on the Motherboard into the Master IDE socket and the Master IDE cable into the Secondary IDE socket on the Mobo.

It booted perfectly with no errors whatsoever.

And again today, when I switched on it booted up no problem.

The BIOS finds Primary Master DVD-RW and Primary Slave DVD rom, and the Secondary Master my C: drive and Secondary Slave my D: drive.

That seems to me to prove that there is nothing wrong with the Motherboard, the IDE cables or the BIOS.

What else would cause this sort of problem?

Stuartli 13:17 25 Jan 2008

I also started to get NONE for the Primary Hard Drive a few months back.

It still boots up and works fine, along with the external hard drive, so I've never looked to find a solution to the "problem"..:-)

Pamy 13:52 25 Jan 2008

I would buy new data cables.

pj123 17:16 25 Jan 2008

Pamy, did that. Didn't make any difference.
My IDE cables are 80 conductor and not 40. I have tried both 80 and 40 but it makes no difference.

It still works perfectly with the cables the wrong way round. That is: Primary Master and Slave to show the Optical drives and Secondary Master and Slave showing the Hard Drives.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:26 25 Jan 2008

Power to drives?

Perhaps you PSU is starting to die and ocasionally (on a cold start) not supplying enough voltage to the drives.

pj123 16:29 26 Jan 2008

Fruit Bat /\0/\, good point.

Unfortunately, I am House/Wheelchair bound so I have to rely on my next door neighbour/others to go and get me things as and when needed.

My partner/carer can't drive. As soon as I can get a new PSU I will give it a try. In the meantime it still seems to working pretty good in the "wrong" order.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?