P.O.S.T problem

ribo 15:04 27 Aug 2003

Hello, Hope someone out there can help or advise.
Usually when I switch on the computer a voice tells me "Power on self test- computer now booting from operationg system"
Occasionally this voice(who shall be nameless) tells me " failed memory test computer now booting from operating system"
It boots ok and everything is as far as I can tell normal. In fact if she did not tell me,I would not know anything was amiss. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Asus A7N8X MoBo. 2400+ Athlon CPU 512 Ram (PC3200 DDR SDRAM) 40 Gb HDD. (about 7 Gb used)
OS XP Home.
This is quite a new computer, built by me and apart from this post message, is working fine. J

The Sack 15:55 27 Aug 2003

Go in to the BIOS and turn the voice off as it is obviously talking cobblers.

By failed it probably mean the RAM generated a single error in the brief test it gets, if you can relax the RAM timings slightly it would probably solve it.

ribo 16:02 27 Aug 2003

Thanks. excuse my ignorance, but how can I relax the RAM timing. I can turn the voice off, if it is just that it is talking rubbish. J

The Sack 16:05 27 Aug 2003

If you go in to the BIOS and find the RAM you will see. if it isnt set to SPD change it to that as this will let the RAM determine what timings to pick. Then its just a case of seeing if the voice stops.

ribo 17:04 27 Aug 2003

Thanks you. I went into the BIOS. The Memory frequency was set to "Auto" I have changed this the "By SPD". Is that what you meant?I have left the voice for now. J

ribo 18:38 27 Aug 2003

There is a Memory Timing which is set to "Optimal" I do not seem able to change this. When I press the Up and down keys it skips this. It has a X beside it. Have I altered the correct one?,or if it is the Memory Timing I need to alter,which one do I have to alter to get into it? Thanks again. J

Rayuk 19:00 27 Aug 2003

This is a regular thing with this board just ignore it no need to turn it off.No need to change any timings either.
What fsb are you running by the way??
Best for this board is to run the fsb and cpu in Sync.

Rayuk 19:01 27 Aug 2003

Have a gander in here may help you with this board.
click here

ribo 20:24 27 Aug 2003

Hello Rayuk,My CPU Ext.Frequency reads 133MHz(Which I think is the fsb.) Although I built this computer myself,I did not alter much in the bios..The Memory frequency was set to " by SPD" I initially altered this to "Auto" and have just changed it back again to "by SPD" as I thought that was what SACK was telling me to do. The Resulting frequency was set at 200MHg and I changed this to Auto on the advise of another member of this forum-quite some time age.
How do I know if the fsb and cpu are in Sync? Do you mean to alter the Memory frequency from "by SPD" I do not think you can just do this,something else has to be altered first-could by wrong. I have had a look at the web site, It will take a bit of digesting. Sorry if I am a bit dim. Thanks for your help. J

Rayuk 21:03 27 Aug 2003

No the cpu would be 133 and the memory would be 133 in your case.Will have a look round later and
see if I can find the url about this, more relevant when you are using the 166cpus and are overclocking slightly.

To alter fsb settings look
click here

Rayuk 21:05 27 Aug 2003

As your system is running ok at the mo I would leave well alone,but doing a little research on the board for its +s and -s wont do you any harm

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone