Post not listed

ponytail 17:44 11 Sep 2011

I have now sent ths post twice but it does not appear in my list of posts anyone know why.

My current hard drive has the following capacity Used Space 75.3gb Free Space 36.4gb Capacity 111gb I did have a Western Digital 40gb drive which developed a fault and has been taken out.I would like to install a replacement which is this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Western-Digital-1TB-3-5-SATA2-64MB-Hard-Drive-WD10EARS-/140591021779?pt=UKComputingHardDrives_RL&hash=item20bbe0bed3 Can someone advise as I have never installed a hard drive before and wondered what was involved ie how is it done.I do have a 1Terrabyte external drive on which I keep my important stuff iot is a iomega drive.Would like to know what others think about installing a 2nd drive and how easy it is.

rdave13 18:10 11 Sep 2011

15p cheaper at Amazon and pretty easy to return if faulty.

Disconnect power and open case. Select a bay for your hard drive and screw in to place. Insert power and sata cable to hdd. Insert other end of sata cable to socket in motherboard. C: drive usually on sata socket numbered 0 or 1. New drive should be on sata socket numbered 2 ( or 1 if C: on 0). I can't see if it's OEM on the ebay site but is on Amazon. That means you'll have to buy a Sata cable. You can pinch two of the machine screws , one from opposite sides, of the C: drive to fix the new drive until you can get some more.

rdave13 18:40 11 Sep 2011

If you don't get seasick then this YouTube video shows you how to physically install the drive but do power off first.

Gives an idea of how to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?