Post Firefox Update - Problem

johndrew 10:26 25 Feb 2007

The latest Firefox update installed itself yesterday and since that point I have been unable to Log on to this site at the Welcome screen until I type my details in. I can also Log on at the Registration screen where my details are held by PCA.

Firefox saved my details before but has not offered to save again.

When I look at the Mozilla Firefox folder in Program Files I notice that I now have a number of duplicated (apparently) files eg Components and Components (2), defaults and defaults(2), greprefs and greprefs(2) etc. Is this normal?

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

johndrew 10:29 25 Feb 2007

I just tried another site I`m registered with and that no longer works either.

Cymro. 10:35 25 Feb 2007

I have also taken yesterdays FF update but have noticed no difference in the performance of my system.

Gongoozler 10:46 25 Feb 2007

Cymro, the update was mainly to fix security issues and give wider language support click here, so I doubt that many users will notice the difference.
johndrew, no you shouldn't have the duplicate files, so it looks like your update actually installed itself as a second Firefox installation rather than as an update. I think it would be best for you to uninstall and then reinstall Firefox. You may also need to delete and rebuild your profile. Have a look in C:\Documents and Settings\{your account}\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles, and see if you have more than one profile.

J B 11:05 25 Feb 2007

The one thing that I have noticed is that on the F/F start page there is no option to do a UK search only. Anyone know where it went? J.B.

Gongoozler 11:08 25 Feb 2007

My start page is click here. It has the UK option, but Google tend to change it occasionally

johndrew 11:36 25 Feb 2007

Thanks for the advice.

I do have two files in my Profiles folder. Both are identified as `default` one is 19.6MB and the other 334KB. Could it be the smaller was installed yesterday?

Should I save one or both Profiles elsewhere or will they be saved along with extensions and bookmarks? I would prefer not to lose all of the setup I currently have.

Stuartli 11:42 25 Feb 2007

Linking to Google always goes to the UK page - even if you type in google.com it will do so and that includes IE.

sunny staines 16:22 25 Feb 2007

i had problems had to restart the pc before i could get an internet conection. also ran a registry program to fix a few probs one was giving this site dark blue pages instead of grey all now fixed.

uesquebeathus 16:25 25 Feb 2007

I must be blessed as everything worked as good as gold pity about brain lag though.

johndrew 18:09 25 Feb 2007

I still have a problem. See my Sun, [email protected]:36.

Glad others are OK though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?