Post Boxes "last collection 5:30pm" when's the 1st

six-h 01:15 31 Mar 2010

Do some post boxes have more than one daily collection?
I have a letter I'd like to be received before Easter, and if there is a morning collection from, say the box outside my local sub P.O. it might just make it.
If it woyld just sit there til 5:30pm tomorrow evening it would have little chance so wouldn't be worth scurrying up there now!

Strawballs 01:17 31 Mar 2010

I think you will find that 5:30 will be the only collection nowadays

six-h 01:25 31 Mar 2010

Thanks Strawballs, I was just clutching at straws (pardon the pun), I'll save my self a soaking and hope the weather is more "clement" in the morning!

wiz-king 06:18 31 Mar 2010

Pedantic I know but if the last collection is 5.30 that implies the must be earlier ones, or Else you could not have a 'last' one.

birdface 08:05 31 Mar 2010

I am sure there is one about 11am not unless they have stopped it.

BT 08:29 31 Mar 2010

Most Post Boxes only have one collection nowadays and that often only on weekdays.
My local sorting office has a box on the outside which has more frequent collections.

interzone55 08:49 31 Mar 2010

Most post boxes in my area are emptied twice, once in the morning and once in the evening.

The one outside the local post office is emptied 4 or 5 times because it's often too full with post from the nearby estate agents to fit anything else in...

Batch 08:57 31 Mar 2010

Well, about two weeks ago I received a letter at about 11:30am that had been posted a few miles away about 2.5 hours earlier the same morning.

Woolwell 09:28 31 Mar 2010

If you ask your local sub-po when it has collected they will tell you as almost certainly the postperson calls in to collect parcels and other items from the post office at the same time.
Around here there seems to be a midday and 5.15 collection from our nearest box.

Sea Urchin 10:16 31 Mar 2010

Royal Mail made a decision some years ago to only list the final collection of the day on each postbox. But the number of collections is more or less the same as it used to be - in the case of the box in my road it's three a day. This saves the postman the bother of having to arrive at each box at specific times during the day - something that was fairly hit and miss anyway.

And wasn't this thread perhaps posted in the wrong forum? Maybe should have been in Postman's Corner - sorry Speaker's Corner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?