possibly fan problem

Workezz 21:11 15 Jan 2003
  Workezz 21:11 15 Jan 2003

have noticed the case of my pc is getting quite hot to the touch on the top of the case above the fan on the motherboard, have never noticed the case get this hot before, i have seen people who have measured the temperatures of there pcs, regardless of the temperature i take it that the case being hot is a major problem? and need to do something abt it quickly?

Lú-tzé 21:29 15 Jan 2003

It does not sound good if the case is hot - have you looked to see if the fan is actually working?

Check your temp, either from the bios or using a prog like MotherBoard monitor or Aida.

Djohn 22:23 15 Jan 2003

Also if it's near the rear of the case, then this is where the PSU fan blows out from the PC. It is quite normal for the case to be very warm in this area, (Not hot).

Workezz 19:55 16 Jan 2003

i have take the side panel off and it wud appear that the cpu fan is not moving at all, it is not blocked by any offending wires and does spin freely so am assuming this to be broken?

if soapart from the fan being a ball bearing type wot else shud i be looking for from this new fan?

Andy

WaTcHiNg 20:15 16 Jan 2003

Check what type of socket you have for your processor. Typically remove the old fan and it's embossed onto the processor socket.

Also you need to know roughly what your processor speed is so that you get a fan that's good enough and can dissipate enough heat.

Check how it connects to the motherboard - does it connect to motherboard witha 3 pin connector or directly onto the larger 4 pin power connector similar to your Hard Disk Drive.

You may also want to buy another processor. If you've been running for ages with no fan your processor could be seriously hurt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?