Possibly a dim question regarding DVD drives

Kate B 13:10 16 Dec 2006

OK, I have a DVD+R disc from which to install some software. My drives are both DVD-R and are refusing to read the disc. Is there anything I can do about this?

anskyber 13:26 16 Dec 2006

I think you are stuck Kate. Having looked around I cannot see anything which will help you. Early Xmas present perhaps? it is surprising given that most players/burners are multi format these days.

Kate B 13:36 16 Dec 2006

*bangs head* Thanks, anskyber. Grrr at the MS press office. I'll email them and get them to burn it to a DVD-R disc.

Totally-braindead 13:38 16 Dec 2006

I'm afraid I have to agree with anskyber if the drives aren't designed to read + disks you've had it.

It must be rather unusual to have 2 drives the same I was under the impression most drives are multi format the same as anskyber thought.

Only other alternative is if you know someone with a PC with a multiformat drive and get them to burn it onto a - disk.

anskyber 13:39 16 Dec 2006

Do you know anyone with a burner to save and copy back to DVD-R?

anskyber 13:40 16 Dec 2006

Snap!

Kate B 13:45 16 Dec 2006

Good idea ... I'll ask my neighbour.

Kate B 14:28 16 Dec 2006

*wails* My neighbour isn't in. *throws massive tantrum*

anskyber 14:31 16 Dec 2006

Given that your PC would launch a Space Shuttle do you think that an upgrade for one of your DVD drives is a tad overdue? :-))

Kate B 15:56 16 Dec 2006

Actually, it seems that the disc itself is at fault. Roxio says both my drives will read DVD+R and I've also borrowed a USB DVD drive that does everything and it reports that the media is blank. *throws another massive tantrum, this time directed at Microsoft's press office*

anskyber 15:59 16 Dec 2006

That makes more sense considering the capability of your system. We will all have to await your thoughts on Vista.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017