Possibly dead pc

LinH 21:11 16 Apr 2009

A friend's pc, a HP Pavillion, has stopped working. The screen just went blank and that was it. When he switches on there is no activity from the hard disk and the screen stays blank i.e. no boot info etc. However, the fans are running, in fact they run all the time, but nothing else happens.

Anyone got any pointers as to what may be the problem please?

Thanks in advance.

LinH

grey george 21:43 16 Apr 2009

Can you try a different monitor? If the hard drive had died you should still see the bios load before all stops. If there is no post beep then it maybe the mother board. Testing the drive and monitor on another pc would help eliminate some components. Just taking the cover off (unplug and earth static) and having a good look for loose connections may yield some clues.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:43 16 Apr 2009

I would try another PSU first, old one may just have enough to run fans and nothing else.

If new PSU doesn't make a difference then sounds like a motherboard problem if no graphics or HDD running.

LinH 22:01 16 Apr 2009

grey gorge and Fruit Bat /\0/\

Tried a different (known good) monitor, same result, zilch! I suspect either a mobo or cpu and your suggestions are pointing in that direction. Either way it would seem to be a serious problem.

Thanks for your responses.

LinH

woodchip 23:21 16 Apr 2009

As above a new Power Supply

LinH 23:28 16 Apr 2009

Thanks for that woodchip.

LinH

woodchip 23:32 16 Apr 2009

I only hope that the PSU as not taken the Motherboard or any other hardware with it, as it did on one of my computers

LinH 23:40 16 Apr 2009

Yep, know what you mean. His pc is getting on in years so the general advice is to think about a new one. Happens to all of us at various, but usually inconvenient, times I suppose.

LinH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?