Possible winter project, satellite TV & dish on PC

Epirb406 19:46 13 Sep 2008

Hi all, wondering what a not massivly techincal fella who is a bit of a skinflin and an ebay account can do this winter.

Looking for links, info and ideas.

Fancy having a PC controling a motorised dish and a card in the PC doing the decoding.

This is is for fun and probably only after the free channels but other options are interesting.

Running XP on a P4 chip.

Any ideas?

Cheers all, Epirb.

crosstrainer 20:01 13 Sep 2008

It's a big project... You will need:

To start here:

click here

And then:

Go down this road

click here

Epirb406 21:19 13 Sep 2008

Hi cross, well, there are a number of bits aren't there....?

Dish, LNB, controlling the dish, where to point it and decoding the signals.

I think the difficult bit must be how to make it all hang together..

Epirb.

crosstrainer 00:25 14 Sep 2008

Yes, drilling lots of holes in exterior walls is never good, there are wireless way's of doing this...Hmm, might have a go myself. If I find anything Interesting I will let you know.

I do remember a work colleague from years back (we lived in North Wales at the time) Who had this type of system up and running.

Harlech (where we lived) in Snowdonia was notorious for 0 reception, but he had every channel going, and his dish moved to fine tune via the PC.

That was a long time ago 1996, so it must be easy now!

dms_05 08:24 14 Sep 2008

Take a look at this forum click here where you will find people who are looking at almost every satellite available. Look especially at the Linux boxes where you can load 'images' of receiver set ups. You can also connect these receivers to the Internet to keep them up to date.

PC Cards are available but a receiver and positioner will almost certainly be more versatile and easier to set up.

If you go for a motorised dish then you MUST get the pole absolutely vertical (accurate to under 1 degree) otherwise the dish will not scan the satellite belt corectly. However you can get dishes that allow you to have multiple LNB's each focused on a satellite but with a static dish.

Epirb406 19:42 06 Oct 2008

What about abandoning the Motorised bit and going for something like this:

click here

If I had a PC set up what would be the sketch with programs that need decoding?

Thinking about this in real slow time but all input appreciated, Thanks, Epirb.

Epirb406 19:58 06 Oct 2008

Was this what you had in mind....seems a good price:

click here|39:1|66:3|65:12|240:1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Epirb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone