Possible virus - or not? (AVG8)

john bunyan 18:11 22 Feb 2009

I have just noticed that my routine virus scan (I have AVG8, Comodo Firewall and Superantispyware with XP Pro ,SP3) on 20th Feb, showed 4 "infections". Scans on 21st and 22nd showed none. AVG Removed one. and when I tried to remove the others a warning appeared saying that if I forced remova it may cause a system crash. I have a suspicion these are false positives following a Comodo update. They all are in the C:\Programmes\Comodo\Firewall folder and end with:a) \cmdagent.exe(1454) b) \Repair\heur.cav(Moved to Virus Vault) c)SCANNERS\heur.cav, c)scanners\heur.cav . All have the statement "Virus found Win32\PE Patch.
The fact they were not on the 21st and 22nd list is puzzling. I had other false positives a few weeks ago with AVG and am a bit loathe to force removal. System seems fine. Any views?

skidzy 18:37 22 Feb 2009

John ,thi s isnt you also ...is it click here ??

If not you,then certainly sounds like false positives for now with the exception of Win32/PEPatch this needs looking at.

Follow the thread ive linked to and run Mbam in safe mode once updated.

john bunyan 19:04 22 Feb 2009

Thanks for the link - no, not me but an identical "problem". Will study and come back to you. The fact that AVG8 reported no problems on 21st and 22nd , even though I had not forced the removal of these apparent problems suggests to me (a novice in these things) that AVG caught up with Comodos changes the next day. Will report back.

john bunyan 20:06 22 Feb 2009

As you advised, Downloaded and updated Mbam,ran scan in safe mode, and scanned System 32 with AVG8. No probs found. I think I will assume these were false positives - AVG not catching up quickly enough with Comodo update, - happened before with AVG reporting a Photoshop CS4 folder as a positive. Not sure what happened to the bit AVG got rid of! Thanks as usual for your speedy and helpful comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017