Possible virus activity - red screen

MALING 20:15 27 Apr 2007

I run XP SP2, fully updated, plus Norton (fully updated), Windows Defender, Spybot and AdAware.

PC has 2 desktops. Recently when I switched to mine, red screen appeared with "Ich ??? Monika". A few days later, a blueish screen with "Fill it up, please". Next time a red screen with letters jumbled and did not assemble in time to be read before my desktop appeared. The messages do not appear before the other desktop loads. I have run all my security software on both desktops and nothing has been found. Following PC Advisor's suggestion in the magazine, re ShieldsUp!, I ran their online check and my computer was fully 'closed'.

What is it and what can I do about it, please? So far, it is merely irritating, but will that be all?

Thanks

Technotiger 20:33 27 Apr 2007

Hi, I would advise a System Restore back to before this started.

MALING 10:08 29 Apr 2007

Would that remove the 'virus'?

Hawy 11:34 29 Apr 2007

You could always try an on-line virus scan click here

Technotiger 13:03 29 Apr 2007

Hmm, try the System Restore as I said back to before this happened. You have nothing to lose.

provider 2 13:19 29 Apr 2007

Page 160 of PC Advisor June 2007 has an item about this or a very similar problem under the title "Seeing Red".
Virus is the suggested cause and it recommends registry changes or dwp.fix.reg ( tinyurl.com/ytcsjf ).

MALING 14:41 29 Apr 2007

Thanks for replies.

I got a different message this morning - they arrive randomly - "Ich fuelle mich voll" (I am full) but still a red screen. I tried HouseCall and it found Adware_FUNWEBPRODUCTS which it removed.

I can change desktop wallpaper.

Am now waiting to see if HouseCall has worked, though Funweb's messages should be in English, not German which most of them are.

p;3 14:51 29 Apr 2007

what system restore will do is roll you back to before this happened ( if it will let you);once you have rolled back what you then have to do is swithc OFF system restore, switch off the comp and reboot, then turn system restore back ON; problem is you the lose ALL your restore points; the object is to kick out the nasty which can hide IN system restore;

you could also try running

click here

click here

skidzy 15:06 29 Apr 2007

Check in add and remove programs for any toolbars and emove them,if you have messengerPlus installed..remove this also.

If anything related to SmileyCentral,remove this too.

You may need expert help here to get rid of the possible registry entries as i dont think an Antispyware or Antivirus program will remove everything.

Follow the above instructions,followed by Sybot SD and AVGAS and Superantispy,(update and scan)all found click here

Then run Ccleaner click here and reboot

If this fails you run Hijackthis click here
and post the log click here here you will receive expert advice.

MALING 11:43 01 May 2007

I am reluctant to do a System Restore just yet. I have run other spyware programmes recommended and removed grayware. I have also removed a programme (a quite respectable, known programme!)recently installed. For 2 days, there has been no sign of the red screen. I wait to see!

Thanks for help.

p;3 15:12 01 May 2007

of interest, what was the program you recently removed?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?