Possible Upgrade....

TonyV 15:28 25 Jan 2006

I am considering putting in a new 120GB hard Drive. Probably a Seagate. Looking in PC World this morning they are not that expensive, but is it very difficult to install one of these devices? I have had a look at some of the threads contained within this Forum, and thought it would not be beyond the wit of man for me to have a crack at doing it!!

I did ask the Tech Chapess at PCW about installing the thing and she mentioned that when I install it and then install Win XP SP2, it will uninstall the copy of XP that is on the existing HDD. Is that right?

Also I noticed on the package that there is a software package called DiscWizard included with the "new" HDD. Presumably this sets the "new" disc up prior to installing any software on it.

I may well take the bull by the horns and go ahead and see what happens. The existing disc, which is quite small, 14Gb, would remain and be used as the secondary disc and for other files to keep them away from the primary disc.

Any advice would be welcome, if all else fails I can still go back to the people I bought my original set up from, and they will install and set it up again, but of course, it will cost!

TonyV

De Marcus™ 15:49 25 Jan 2006

"I did ask the Tech Chapess at PCW about installing the thing and she mentioned that when I install it and then install Win XP SP2, it will uninstall the copy of XP that is on the existing HDD. Is that right?"

Nope. I can't quite understand what exactly was being explained but it's wrong anyway, she may have been referring to the size limits on hard drives pre-service packs.

If I were in your position I'd install the new HD as a secondary drive and leave the 14gb where it is (unless it's speed is less than that of the new one) and move all my files, folders, etc over to the new drive so your left with just windows and programs on the old drive and all your data on the new.

If your new drive is faster than the old one then naturally I'd make it the master drive and use the 14gb one as a place for storing backup data.

Well that's what I'd do, others may have a different way, wait for their posts which will invariably give you a better idea of what you want to do.

Gongoozler 16:04 25 Jan 2006

Hi TonyV. Just to add my few penceworth. What De Marcus™ suggests is by far the easiest and lowest risk method of adding hard disk capacity, unless you really need additional space for programs, 14G is usually ample once you have removed all the files you have accumulated over the years. This method has the added advantage that if you ever need to reformat the drive with Windows on it, your saved files will be untouched. What does worry me a bit is that a computer old enough to have a hard drive of only 14G may not recognise a 120G drive. Tell us more about the computer and we should be able to advise you and suggest ways around the problem.

TonyV 16:54 25 Jan 2006

Thanks for your speedy response.

I actually had a new Mother Board fitted about a couple years ago and a new 1.1Ghz AMD Duron processor. The board is listed as SiS-730. Bus Clock 100 Mhz. BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 07/24/2002, 512MB Memory. I think the Mother Board is a Magic (830CN/830CH/830CF)board according to the Handbook!

I've also been in touch with the local people who supplied the original and updated it for me and they said the 120GB would be what they would supply if I wanted to go this route. On that basis, the Mother board should accept the 120GB OK.

TonyV

De Marcus™ 17:01 25 Jan 2006

Yes, you shouldn't have any problems.

TonyV 18:22 25 Jan 2006

Thanks for that confirmation!

I may well go for leaving the 14GB as the Primary and use the new one as the main disc for saving all the files that come from the applications that will reside in the 14GB disc.

I suppose the other question is that if I use the 120GB or maybe an 80GB new disc, there would be no need to partition that but use merely as a storage facility? That is said on the basis that the 14GB will then become effectively a standalone system disc with a few applications on it.

If that is so, then the exercise of me fitting a secondary disc would not be too much of a problem. (He says with bated breath!!)

Thanks

TonyV

TonyV 18:58 25 Jan 2006

I have managed to get a spec for the 14GB disc I have and it is IBM-DJNA-351520, details are shown on click here$file/djna_ds.pdf . The speed is very similar to one on PCWorld site which wasn't a Seagate but a Hitachi. The Hitachi is 7200rpm versus my 5400rpm, but the seek speed is very similar 8.8 versus 9. So regarding your comment about speed for deciding the disc to use as the primary, I may just as well leave the existing one as the primary and use the new one as the secondary.

Cheers

TonyV

TonyV 18:59 25 Jan 2006

May be this link is better! click here$file/djna_ds.pdf

TonyV

TonyV 19:01 25 Jan 2006

I'll try again! "click here$file/djna_ds.pdf" Copy and paste!

TonyV

TonyV 19:03 25 Jan 2006

All right, I give up, but I think you can see what I am trying to show you!

TonyV

ed-0 19:17 25 Jan 2006

Put the web site address into here. click here

It will make a shorter link that you can post.

So far all looks weel for the upgrade.:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires