Possible spyware in my system called

kindly 16:02 09 Mar 2007

"Harnigigeneric". My antivirus checker keeps telling me that I have this infection. I have cleaned the system when it shows after my scan and it is deleted. I have emptied my cookies and offline content. Cleaned out the system restore. Yet after I start my machine it comes up again. After checking on the net I find it is a low priority infection, but I still want rid of it. It shows in my temp internet files even after cleaning them out. Any ideas please. Thanks to all.

ICF 16:13 09 Mar 2007

Try cleaning in safemode.
What spyware/virus programs are you using?
Try click here or click here

ICF 16:16 09 Mar 2007

Google brings up nothing for "Harnigigeneric"

rawprawn 16:20 09 Mar 2007

click here
also gives real time protection
Excellent little program

kindly 16:33 10 Mar 2007

My main anti virus protection is provided by "eTrust" and the firewall is "Zone alarm pro".
I have also scanned with "spybot". I will try the free program thats on offer rawprawn. Will let you know what happens. The correct spelling of the thing I have is "Harnig!generic". Sorry I spelt it wrong first time. It is part of the Harnig Family===================Type: Trojan
Category: Win32
Also known as StartPage-BT (McAfee), Win32/Harnig!generic, Trojan.Win32.Harnig.b (Kaspersky), HTML/Harnig.B.Trojan, Win32/Harnig.B.Trojan, Win32.Harnig.BN , Win32/Harnig.G (Eset) =========================.
Cheers everyone.

ICF 18:46 10 Mar 2007

Trojan hunter free 30 day trial
click here

p;3 18:53 10 Mar 2007

click here also spybot might find something

what actual protection do you have on there?

hzhzhzhz 19:13 10 Mar 2007
  kindly 20:55 10 Mar 2007

I think but not totally sure. The first thing I see when I start up the comp, is the antivirus saying i have this bug. Usually in temp interent files. even when emptied its still there. Another one is in a system32 file.
Some programs freeze the computer, downloads become so slow i dont bother trying to carry on with them. I also keep getting a warning that Zone alarm has stopped my computer contacting a web site....address "65.19.154.90". After checking it out, I find it is a site not to be visted. So luckilly that way the firewall works.
I have installed "spyware terminator" to see if that works.
cheers everyone.

Ashrich 22:27 10 Mar 2007

Turn off System Restore before scanning in any mode ( safe or Windows ) as it will still be there in the back up copy of Restore .

Ashley

kindly 22:39 10 Mar 2007

This is one thing I have done because of what you say.
The only thing that has done is to get rid of all my restore points. Now i will have start all over again. When i get it sorted that is. I am trying different things and will post back in a few days to let you all know what has happened.
Thanks for all the advice though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017