possible psu prob?

ryan282 17:32 22 Mar 2006

Hi all,please advise.
I have a pc that freezes for no apparent reason and at any time.When it freezes the monitor stays on as it was before it frose.The green power light stays illuminated and so does the yellow harddrive light(only if the harddrive was active at the time the computer frose).It has steadely got worse so as now it freezes when i try to boot it could freeze at any point in the boot or at any time after.I have noticed that there isnt any beep sound on boot but i can hear a slight click sound,is this significant?
I replace the boot h/d to see if it was that but the same problem.
Please help.
Thanks in advance,ryan.

Diemmess 17:53 22 Mar 2006

I think you have already narrowed it down if freezing ever occurs in the early boot stage BEFORE windows starts to load.

My best bet would be the RAM which is relatively easy to check by substitution.
try removing and replacing first to rule out dirty contacts.
If you have more than one piece try just one at a time.
If you have only one RAM card try and borrow its exact equivalent to pop into the same slot.

To rule out windows corruption try booting from a startup floppy or even a bootable CD.

The PSU and CPU haven't had time to overheat and seldom mess about. Their problems once evident stay stuck!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:05 22 Mar 2006

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?