Possible networking problem after copying html files to Win 7 PC

anniebuk 11:57 11 Feb 2014

I have recently acquired a Windows 7 Professional PC running Internet Explorer 11 to replace my Windows XP machine running Internet Explorer 8 and am now encountering the following issue.

I copied my web pages to the new PC and now when I view the local html pages (not the internet version) the pages hang. Eventually I get an error message similar to...

Cannot find... ...:/Users/[Username]/Desktop/Annie/AMB%20... Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.

I have a SiteMeter script in the pages and when I delete the script, the pages load perfectly. I prefer to use the Javascript version of SiteMeter so I can see where my visitors are coming from. If I try the html code, rather than the Jacvascript code, which SiteMeter offer, the issue isn’t present.

However, I don’t think the issue is as straightforward as this. I think it may be some sort of networking problem but I can't figure out how to rectify the issue. I have unplugged the Win 7 PC from the network/internet by pulling out the ethernet cable from the LAN port and then the pages load OK, even with the Javascript SiteMeter script in. I've tried this in reverse and unplugged the XP machine and plugged the Win 7 PC back in and I still get the issue. If I view a web page file which is located on the XP machine across the network on the Win 7 machine, this is OK too.

There seems to be a connection with moving the files, the network and the SiteMeter script but I don't understand what exactly the problem is. I have experimented with sharing permissions on both machines and I can't find an answer. I am using a Workgroup to connect the PC's but have also switched on the Homegroup for a brief spell to see if this needed to be available. Both PC's are connected via an Ethernet cable and I've tried connecting them both to the router and also into a switch box which is connected to the router. Nothing works. My router is the Technicolor TG582n.

Incidentally, the pages load OK in FireFox on the Windows 7 PC but are slow in Chrome.

I’m not very technical when it comes to networking or PC security so please could any replies be in simple language.

With grateful thanks to anyone who might be able to help me.

Annie

pjunaid 16:58 11 Mar 2014

Mostly Google chrome works better than other main famous browsers, it is working slow may be of network connection problem, you may check your network connectivity peformance on the Network Connectivity Checker site below: click here Connectivity Checker will perform a series of network tests for modern Web Services like WebSockets and WebRTC. a unique url will be created with the results which you can then share with an expert to get your problem diagnosed.

The

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone