Possible missing driver

Zebrapec 18:40 14 Jun 2003

My 'a' drive went wrong after 4 years last month and I got another from a broken computer. The 'a' drive works perfect now, but every time I start the computer up, there is a picture of a drum playing and stating that there are/is a driver missing.
Without taking the 'a' drive out, is there any where I can download a driver?
sparks

jazzypop 18:48 14 Jun 2003

There is no specific driver you can download for a floppy drive ('A' drive). I suspect your problem lies elsewhere.

Does the 'missing driver' message tell you which driver is missing? Any names?

If you are running Windows 98, try inserting the Windows CD and go to Start > Run and type sfc

This will allow any Windows system files that are missing to be reinstalled from the CD

Zebrapec 19:42 14 Jun 2003

Okay jazzypop, thanks,
I have run my win98 disc as you suggested and it found 12 items that where missing so I restored those, it also found 19 files that where updated. Now I have updated some, but cannot remember them all, so I accepted that I know about the updates?
But back to the original problem,
The drum still plays and it says 'Updating System Settings'

jazzypop 20:02 14 Jun 2003

You can read the logfile that will tell you what is happening at bootup if you want - this will certainly give you a clue as to what is going wrong. To do this, hold your ctrl key down while you boot your machine. The windows Start Menu will appear. Choose option 2, Logged boot. After you are booted, locate bootlog.txt and browse through it. It shows what is happening every step of the way. Look down near the bottom and perhaps you can identify what is happening there. All kinds of things happen at bootup from virus scans to backups of the registry.

Alternatively, just reinstall W98 over the top of itself - a 'repair reinstall'.

To do this, boot from your W98 boot floppy, start up with CD rom support, change to your CD drive and type setup ( a more detailed explanation than that can be given if required). This will reinstall Windows, and should not lose any data or settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?