Possible Malware On Amazon?

Mad Mick 08:29 08 Nov 2006

Every time I go on the Amazon website I seem to pick up some malware. A squared reports malware called Trace.File.Ezula. Various Google searches identifies this as malware. Does anyone else who uses Amazon get the same report when they do an A squared scan after having visited Amazon?

anskyber 09:20 08 Nov 2006

Sorry, no clean for me.

birdface 09:39 08 Nov 2006

Up dated and ran A Squared last night,Picked up 3 problems on mine,One of them was Ezula,Was on Amazon for a short spell yesterday,But cant say if i picked it up from there or not,It was a large update from A squared, So problem may have been on computer for a while.

wee eddie 10:19 08 Nov 2006

They don't think that their site should be the source of nasties and get very upset if one of their clients uses one.

Tell them that you are not sure of ther're the source, but that their site was one of the few that you visited. That method will not put them on the defencive and give them a chance to thank you should you turn out to be correct.

Mad Mick 10:57 08 Nov 2006

Thank you all. I have sent an email to Amazon and will await their reply. I firstr noticed this apparent malware when I started using Amazon, on the recommendation of my daudhter and grandchildren, to do some Christmas shopping to buy music CD's for my grandchildren. I did a scan a few days later and A squared picked up Malware in c:\documentsandsettings\myname\favourites\amazon.url I used Asquared to delete it and ran various scans in the days that followed and all were clear.
I visited Amazon this morning and did a scan with A squared and found the malware flagged up again.
I will post back if and when Amazon contact me.

Mad Mick 11:28 08 Nov 2006

Still awaiting an email from Amazon (which can take up to 24 hours). A squared seems to think the Amazon icon in Documents and Settings contains malware and flags it up as such.
If I delete the icon in Documents and Settings and just type in the url for Amazon to enable me to surf everything is fine. As soon as I add it to my favourites A squared picks it up again as malware. This may well be a false positive from A squared. I will keep you posted.

Kate B 12:06 08 Nov 2006

I've just run a scan and found Ezula, too. Symantec has a removal tool here click here

I'll also email Amazon.

Mad Mick 23:07 09 Nov 2006

I reported the problem to Amazon who referred me to my ISP. Instead I emailed A Squared. They asked me to do a scan and forward them the result but I have been unable to replicate the problem I told them about. Should I have the same problem in the future I will email A Squared and enclose the file they requested.
I will sign off as closed and I will monitor the position and raise a new message if necessary.
Thanks to all who responded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?