Possible hard drive problem?

guesswho2 10:39 28 May 2009

Re Western Digital hard drive WDCWD1200JB-00GVA0
Just lately, when I try to open My Documents, the hard drive can be heard scrabbling about and after 10 or 15 seconds a blank My Documents screen appears with a rectangular "hole" of about 2 or 3 inches through which the desktop wallpaper can be seen. After another 15 seconds scrabbling, all the proper folder icons eventually appear and I can then access everything as usual.
Disk Management and Belarc Advisor report that all drives are healthy. I've also run Check Disk and this also came up "clean".
However, I am concerned that the symptoms might indicate some problem with the drive. Could someone comment?
I'm running Windows XP Home, SP3.

lotvic 11:02 28 May 2009

Might be time for a Defrag
Stop any Screensavers and any other progs not needed running in background before you defrag as they can interrupt the process. (and of course be offline - apologies if teaching you to suck eggs :))

guesswho2 11:08 28 May 2009

Hi lotvic.
Thanks but I regularly use CCleaner and do a defrag.

lotvic 11:41 28 May 2009

only other things I can think of are check you have sufficient free disc space if HDD is getting full and virtual memory settings?

also try Active Desktop and uncheck View as Webpage

guesswho2 12:15 28 May 2009

Loads of space available. Don't use IE.
Thanks lotvic.

Ventad 13:22 28 May 2009

I thought CCleaner only cleans out old and temp. files etc. and does not defrag.

Ventad 13:22 28 May 2009

sorry read that wrong

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:46 28 May 2009

Sounds more like a problem with Explore than the drive.

Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

guesswho2 18:40 28 May 2009

Thanks Fruit Bat, I should have added that I've also done an sfc scan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?