Possible damaged registry

jake2 23:08 28 Mar 2009

I used revo uninstaller to remove some programs earlier and I think something has been removed that shouldnt have been.
Since using the program, I have been asked to reinstal various programs on the pc. Microsoft office mostly. Updates now fail from microsoft and I cannot update java.
I have run Reg cure - No difference.
Restore to before problem - No difference.

Can anybody sugget anything lse to try?

jake2 00:22 29 Mar 2009

I also cannot install any updates from microsoft.

rawprawn 09:12 29 Mar 2009

Are you running XP or Vista?
I would suggest a system file scan, if you don't know how post back with your OS.

jake2 09:14 29 Mar 2009

I tried the recovery disc to check if there was a repair option to see if that would cure it. No repair option, just re-instal. That disc is also 7 years old!
I can get the sp3 disc. Would that replace any registry entries that have damaged or deleted?
Is there a repair facility to download from microsoft? Or a repair disc? I dont want to reinstall windows just repair this one damaged area it at all possible.

rawprawn 09:16 29 Mar 2009

To save time
Vista
Click the Windows button>> All Programs>> Accessories.
Right click the Command Prompt option and then select "Run as administrator" from the resulting menu.
With the Command Prompt window showing, type in: sfc /scannow [Enter]
You will now receive a message that states the scan will now begin. If SFC should find any rogue files that need to be replaced, you may be asked to insert your Windows CD. If the SFC scans without finding any problems, you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".
Close the command prompt window.

XP
Start > Run> Type sfc /scannow and hit Enter. You will need your XP CD

In both cases watch the space between sfc and /

rawprawn 09:18 29 Mar 2009

Get the XP SP3 disc, if sfc doesn't work you can "Repair XP" without loss of data only updates
click here

jake2 09:43 29 Mar 2009

Its XP home. I only have a recovery disc, will that alow me to run the sfc file?

birdface 10:07 29 Mar 2009

Maybe remove Reg Cure lots of free registry cleaners that do a better job.Without giving problems.Maybe download and run Dial-A-Fix which helps with Microsoft updates.

rawprawn 10:20 29 Mar 2009

Borrow the SP3 disc and use that

rawprawn 10:24 29 Mar 2009

A better way for you would be to run sfc without using your XP disk
click here

jake2 10:40 29 Mar 2009

Ok I think I will try the sp3 disc and hope that replaces anythng that is damaged/ deleted. I guess there will be a lot of updates to download after that.
Is sp3 disc guaranteed to fix this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?