Possible Broken Hard Disk

Alan-Petrie 18:39 01 Dec 2009

Hi

I turned my desktop pc on yesterday and all was fine until the vista loading bar appeared, it started as normal then I noticed it seemed to be taking much longer than usual, I then heard a quiet click every 5-10 second or so. I have heard this noise before and identified it was coming from the hard disk. The pc attempts to load vista with the bar coming to a halt every now and again it then repeats this in an endless cycle but never gets to the log on.

I tried all the usual, safe mode, couldn’t get to it froze during start up. Removing all possible hardware, cleaning any dust out of the case none of this helped.

I have a spare hard drive on which I will reinstall windows, will it be possible to connect the other hard drive in and use windows explorer to navigate through its folders and save anything I that isn’t in a damaged sector? Secondly its still well in warranty is this the sort of problem Samsung would replace/refund for?

Thanks Alan

Jollyjohn 18:51 01 Dec 2009

Yes you should be able to connect your old hdd as a SLAVE drive and recover data from it.
Pay attention to the jumpers on your replacement drive and your old hdd. The new one needs to be set as MASTER and it may be a different jumper setting for "Master with slave drive"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:53 01 Dec 2009

will it be possible to connect the other hard drive in and use windows explorer to navigate through its folders and save anything I that isn’t in a damaged sector?

Yes, as long as the master boot record isn't damaged windows can then detect the drive and read from it.
It sounds as if you have heads hitting the drive if its clicking all you can do is ask Samsung for a replacement.

Alan-Petrie 09:16 02 Dec 2009

windows slows to a near halt when I conect the damaged drive, my computer denies access to it as well.

would doing a check disk help? I have been told this can corrden off bad sectors but I may loose other data as well ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:28 02 Dec 2009

Yes run chkdsk on it but I'm afraid its looking terminal hope there isn't anything on it you desperately need.

Alan-Petrie 16:11 02 Dec 2009

The main thing I had was a windows 7 key, due to be backed up on december 1st. Just my luck

Alan-Petrie 18:13 02 Dec 2009

I am going to visit pc world tonight to see what they recommend, thanks for the help so far.

Alan-Petrie 22:21 02 Dec 2009

I have decieded to runa disk check, I was advised by the man in pc world to use a windows xp installation disk and more specifically use the recovery console feature, having typed in DSKCHK/R around two hours ago, not much has happened, its been at 50% for a long time and all it says on the screen is

"CHKDSK is checking the volume
CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery...
50% completed

is this normal? or should this be expected?

MAT ALAN 22:47 02 Dec 2009

Puzzled by this so hopefully someone can clarify

Vista has a different boot loader scheme to XP
so why would someone from PCWORLD tell anybody to use an XP disc to CHKDSK or repair a VISTA installation...

CHKDSK can take many hours to perform its tasks (known to be days) depending on the size of the volume, some people say it can actually do more harm than good...

Alan-Petrie 22:52 02 Dec 2009

I found it strange that he told me to use an xp disc, initally when I said I had a windows 98 disc he reccomended I use that.

Alan-Petrie 22:54 02 Dec 2009

also will I be able to turn my computer off or restart it ? I dont really want to leave it on for days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone