is this possible

the spook 13:32 27 Jan 2004

Hi. I run two computers networked together, I use a KVM switch so I only have one monitor and one mouse.As you can imagine I sometimes get a bit confused as to what computer I am on. My question is, is it possible to somehow have something like COMP 1 and COMP 2 sit on top of the screen no matter what window I am in, so when I switch from one to the other it will stay on top of the desktop so I can see it all the time.Hope you can understand what I mean. Thanks
PS running win xp pro on both machines.

24seven 13:49 27 Jan 2004

How about creating two word docs called Computer 1 and Computer 2 and have them run minimised at startup on each machine, then the words Computer 1 or Computer 2 will be showing on the taskbar depending on what machine you are using at the time.

Have to ask, why do you have two PCs running at the same time?

leo49 14:11 27 Jan 2004

Easiest way is to run different colour taskbar/frame schemes on each computer.

the spook 16:23 27 Jan 2004

I like the idea of the different colour taskbar, and the word document. I did not know if there was a program out there that would allow me to do what I wanted. I use 2 computers as only one has a dial up modem and I need to transfer data from one to the other,

leo49 16:31 27 Jan 2004

Just rightclick your desktop/Properties/Appearance Tab and if you don't like the XP colour schemes offered[and let's face they're pretty hideous]click the Advanced button and do some decorating.

Rennaissance 18:03 27 Jan 2004

why not edit your wallpaper and put the words comp 1 on one and comp 2 on another. Easiest way ever.

the spook 18:15 27 Jan 2004

I understand what you are saying but I would like it to sit there all the time so no matter what window I have open I would still be able to see it.

hugh-265156 18:23 27 Jan 2004

why not customize your start button text to say comp1 and comp2 etc click here

wee eddie 18:50 27 Jan 2004

Quentin Tarrantino had no problem with Mr Pink and Mr Blue

As leo49 says; Just customise each Windows set-up to a different colour scheme, then paint the PC's to match!

the spook 20:03 27 Jan 2004

Thanks huggy sounds just what I wanted, downloaded the program now going to try it.

Stuartli 09:39 28 Jan 2004

If you get confused with two, what happens if you get a third...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?