Possibility of accessing files wirelessly

DANZIG 16:32 09 Feb 2008

Hello.

At the moment at home I have a PC upstairs wired to my BB connection and a wireless router up there as well so I can use my laptop downstairs.

Also connected to my PC upstairs is an external HD.

Is it possible to access the files on this exteranl HD from the laptop downstairs - and if so, how do I go on about doing it??

Thanks!!

Kemistri 17:44 09 Feb 2008

Easy. How's your budget? Solution #1 -- and my own choice -- is a network hub: click here This is great for getting access to whatever external HDD I happen to plug into it, it includes a print server, and it works as a regular USB hub. Solution #2 is to replace your current external HDD with a NAS, some of which have become very good value, relatively speaking: click here Solution #3 is cheap but potentially tricky, particularly with certain operating systems (which you have not specified): you may be able to map it as a network drive and thus include it in your shares. But that is not something that I have ever had to dabble in, with the hub on one network and a NAS on the other.

DANZIG 09:25 10 Feb 2008

The main PC (the one upstairs) had XP Home on it and the laptop has Vista Home Premium on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?